Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mary Dressel



Author Pen Name: Mary Dressel

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

MD: Right now I write Historical, Paranormal, and Contemporary Romance. I have to write the stories I write. The ideas just come to me, and I have to make a story out of them. I feel complete when a particular story is finished, like it was the story that was calling to me.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

MD: Oh, goodness, I have always known that I would be a writer! Ever since a child, I wrote, or made up stories and poems. Writing has always been something that's been important for me. It’s my solace.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

MD: Other authors have been my inspiration, and still are. Always being an avid reader myself, I envied the people who had their name on books, and could fill the pages for other's enjoyment. When I was a child my dad was the one who got me into reading. He was a reader, so I in a way, he inspired me, too. Writing is my warm fuzzy! It's one of the most important things in my life. Whether or not I ever got published, or if I never get published again, I will still write.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

MD: I usually write in the evening since I have a regular job during the day. I work at a middle school for ten months of the year, and I feel so lucky to have summers off to write. Then, I usually get up early before anyone else, and stay up late. Sometimes now, I write in a notebook at night while family stuff is going on, then later put it in the computer. When I am really motivated and the words are just flying free, I call it my “writing frenzy” because I can't stop. I try to fit it in every free minute I have.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

MD: When my books are ready to go into the reader world, I am both scared and ecstatic at the same time. I so want my readers to love it, I guess that's why it's scary, and of course ecstatic because I'm so proud of what I've accomplished.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

MD: Finding time is and always has been my biggest challenge. With my first book, I had a family and ailing parents to work around, and now it's a full time job, and a new family to work around.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

MD: Photography is my hobby, and I enjoy creative photography. I'm still an avid reader, and have two or three books I'm reading right now.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

MD: Well, I've written the two I have published, and have three or four others in progress as we speak. At first Visions of Enchantment was my favorite. Then I wrote the second in the series, Enchantment's Embrace, and to date, that is probably my favorite. I'm beginning to really love the paranormal (vampire) I'm working on, too. My most current project is a novella, and it’s a bit more than sensual. Quite different for me. It’s winning a good race of my favorites!

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

MD: Probably about 97% of my characters are totally from my imagination. There are a few of my characters who are actually inspired from people I have known. My grandmother, whom I was very close to, inspired me to create one of my characters. Most come right out of my imagination!

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

MD: The best advice I can give aspiring writers is the same advice I got, and that is Write What You Know. When you have to write about something that you don’t know, then research until your reader believes you know it. And, most importantly, Never Give Up On Your Dream of becoming a writer.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

MD: I have an official Website and can be reached through that via guestbook, or email. That address is http://www.maryjdresselbooks.com My email address is dresselmj@aol.com I personally answer all my email, and love to hear from my readers and friends.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

MD: I write newsletters on a regular basis, and would like to invite everyone to read, and then hopefully subscribe to them. They can be found at http://www.maryjdresselsnewsletters.blogspot.com My February newsletter has an interview I did with C.J. Hollenbach, Fantasy Hunk of 2001, and Male Cover Model. Yikes! You have to check him out. In April I interviewed a Book Cover Designer who actually designed the cover for my two books, and one even won a Best Book Cover Art Award. He works at my publishing company. You can visit my BLOG, too! Http://www.maryjdresselbooks.blogspot.com

13 comments:

Crystal-Rain Love said...

Great interview. I wish you much success (and a future where you have plenty of time to write)!!!

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel said...

Hi, and thanks for the Interview, Crystal! You know that novella I mentioned in this interview? It's since turned into an erotic novel! And, I'm on chapter 16 in Book Three in the Enchantment series. Yes, it's so hard to find time to write. Can anyone else comment about their writing schedules?

Lisa Pietsch said...

On writing schedules - I get up at 4am so I have some quiet time before the family wakes up.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your success! I look forward to seeing your future paranormal stories!
-TGreaper

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel said...

Hi, Lisa,

Thanks for commenting. I've been at work and couldn't check this blog. Last summer I would get up at 5:00 each morning to finish up a manuscript. I had to do it that way, too, before anyone got up, and ahhh, peace and quiet!

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel said...

To Anonymous--

Thank you very much for your comment. I keep busy because I know people are waiting to see the rest of the series! Than, finally, I can get back to my Vampire romance!

Anonymous said...

Great interview Mary!
I wish you much success, my friend.

Ida

Anonymous said...

Great interview Mary! I agree it's difficult sometimes to find the time or energy to sit down and write. Congratulations on all your wonderful work!

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel said...

Ida and Barbara,

Thank you very much for stopping by, and leaving a comment. You both are published authors, so you know how hard it is to find the time. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

What a good interview...

I'm very strict with my writing schedule. Otherwise, I just don't get anything done. I begin my day by checking my email and floating around the Internet to all of my profiles, add in a little promotion, etc. Then, I have three hours set aside for writing - no exceptions. I know other writers that have a much more flexible day, and they say it works for them. As for me, it's too easy to get distracted if I don't stay rigid with my time.

I'm sure it is much more difficult when working in writing time around another fulltime job. I salute anyone that can juggle both.

Destiny Booze
http://home.earthlink.net/~destinyrae/

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel said...

Thanks, Destiny,

I'm at work right now, as a matter of fact. I did a little writing at lunch, but not enough time to amount to anything, and even just a little help. It's good to stay motivated. I don't have a strict enough schedule put on myself at the moment, but that will end soon I hope. Thanks for commenting!

Zulmara said...

Great interview...love the shout out to grandma...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

Mary J. McCoy-Dressel said...

Crystal,

Thank you for spotlighting me on your blog last week. I enjoyed being here these past seven days!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my interview, and leave a comment. I appreciate that very much. Feel free to check out my website at

http://www.maryjdresselbooks.com

and my newsletters at

http://www.maryjdresselsnewsletters.blogspot.com