Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lisa Pietsch



Author Pen Name: Lisa Pietsch (That’s my real name too ;-)

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

LP: I consider myself a cross-genre mutt. I write espionage with lots of action/adventure and romantic elements.

I write the stories I write because, if I don’t, the characters keep bugging me and keep me awake at night acting out new scenes. It sounds crazy, I know, but my characters pretty much write the stories themselves. I see the scenes being acted out in my head like a movie and I just have to put them on paper.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

LP: I’ve always wanted to write. My parents succeeded in convincing me that I needed a trade rather than a dream of success in the arts so I bounced around a bit and then joined the Air Force. It wasn’t until after I got married that someone actually encouraged me to write. I wrote my first novel for kicks after our first son was born and when my husband liked it, I realized I wanted to go the distance with writing novels.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

LP: My life, the things I’ve done and the people I’ve met along the way are my inspiration.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

LP: Ha! Everybody I’ve met who writes professionally says “Create a schedule and stick with it.” Well, I can’t do that. I have a pre-schooler and an infant at home so I have to grab writing time whenever I can. I prefer to do my writing early in the morning so I get up at 0400 to get a few hours of writing in every day. At the end of the day, I’m so drained that I can barely put two words together.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

LP: Thrilled!

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

LP: Finding the time to do revisions when I finally got a publishing contract. One thing after kept popping up. My oldest son got sick, then the baby got sick, then I got sick. By the time I’d recovered, a month had passed. Then my computer crashed. Once I got my fallback computer set up and ready to go, it crashed too. There are always going to be challenges when we choose to follow our dreams. We have to just adapt, improvise and overcome. Nothing worthwhile is easy.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

LP: I like to read real news stories and non-fiction about arms dealers, terrorists, human trafficking, drug trafficking, kidnap & ransom. I love reading Ian Fleming’s James Bond books and Cindy Gerard’s The Bodyguards series of books is another favorite. I also like watching movies about all of the above: James Bond movies, movies like Lord of War, Blood Diamond, Proof of Life, the Bourne movies.

I’m not all business though. I love Jane Austen, J.K. Rowling and Shakespeare too!

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

LP: I’ve written one and am currently in the middle of revisions on it for my publisher, Sapphire Blue Publishing (http://www.SapphireBluePublishing.com). This is the first book in a series of seven books I have planned. The other six are outlined already. I also have a trilogy outlined to work on after I’ve finished this series.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

LP: Every character of mine begins with the seed of reality. Some are based more loosely than others on real people. Then there are others that I just completely dream up.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

LP: Don’t let anyone squash your dreams. If they try to, kick them to the curb. Keep pressing on. There are some questions I always asked myself when I got down about writing:

How many people say they want to write a novel before they die?
Of those, how many of them actually write one?
Of those, how many try to get it published?
Of those, how many do get published?

Writing the manuscript is just the first step but it is a huge step and praiseworthy.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

LP: I love making friends on MySpace! http://www.myspace.com/lisampietsch
My website is http://www.lisapietsch.com.
My publisher’s website is http://www.SapphireBluePublishing.com

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

LP: There is no more amazing feeling than that which fills you when you follow your dreams and do what you are truly passionate about. If writing is what makes you feel alive then pursue it with every bit of your being. Don’t give up!

9 comments:

Crystal-Rain Love said...

Hey, Lisa! Much success to you and I'm not even mad at you for knocking me out of the #1 spot ! LOL! Great interview!

Lisa Pietsch said...

Thanks, Rain!
You're as gracious as you are talented :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Lisa,
A good interview. (I think all instructors go to the same training establishment somewhere in the nether regions of Hell. I still remember an infantry corporal with mixed affection)
Good luck with the next book.
Amy

Lisa Pietsch said...

Thanks, Amy!

Lisa Pietsch said...

I should probably mention that The Path to Freedom, my debut novel, was released on September 22 by Sapphire Blue Publishing.

Feedback seems to be fairly positive so far (but mothers have to be supportive, don't they?)

If you've read it, please feel free to comment - good or bad, I'd love to know what you thought of the book.

Anonymous said...

Great interview! Your books sound intriguing indeed! Congratulations and much success.

Lisa Pietsch said...

Thank you, Barbara :-)

Zulmara said...

wow...you have an AWESOME husband...que cool are you...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

Lisa Pietsch said...

i do have an awesome husband - despite his addiction to World of Warcraft. ;-)