Monday, October 13, 2008

Elyse Draper



Author Pen Name: Elyse Draper

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

Elyse: I’ve actually written in both Non-Fiction and Fiction. In Non-Fiction I wrote for an anthology entitled “Voices of Autism”, a reference guide and support book for families and care providers dealing with autism. Why? Well I’ve worked with children for about seventeen years and over the last three specialized in working with those that have special needs. Having the opportunity to write for such a wonderful group as The Healing Project, who have published many “Voices” anthology books covering issues from cancer to Alzheimer’s, was too important to pass up.
In Young Adult Fiction, I am writing a series that falls into the genre-bending categories of a paranormal, science-fiction, fantasy. The inspiration for the series came from dreams that started soon after my latest stint of hospice work. The idea of good people dying so young left me sore from the unfairness of it all. In my dreams I created a world where special people, lost too young and traumatically, weren’t really lost. That proposal grew into a story about a world intersecting with ours, and explains all sorts of mystical questions. Playing in parallel myths, teenage angst, and wonderful characters both dramatic and independent, this is turning into a ghost story that has been truly exciting and compulsive to tell.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Elyse: To tell the truth, I never really thought of my writing as anything more then a creative outlet. After encouragement from family, friends (one old, very good friend in particular) and a Philosophy professor who has became a wonderful friend as well…I decided to take the chance that my writing could be more then just an outlet. I’ve always been self conscious about my spelling, but with Spell-check… I didn’t have any excuses not to try. I’ve learned that this is not an easy business, but with patience, perseverance and a good support group you can accomplish anything.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

Elyse: I’ve had many sources of inspirations for writing…most have come from watching very tough people cope with very difficult situations. In particular my mother, with her philosophies, internal strength, and a remarkable writing talent of her own; she inspired me to always keep pushing forward.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

Elyse: I still work regularly with my Special Needs Children, and I’m a mom and wife; so finding time can be difficult. I have learned though, that in treating my writing as a full time job, I find time…at least 36 hours a week to write. If the novels aren’t flowing, I still sit in front of the keyboard and free write in my journal until something clicks.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

Elyse: Relieved

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

Elyse: Finding time, and then sticking to that schedule no matter what.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Elyse: I love to read, swim, box, paint, and enjoy the outdoors. When doing any activities, including writing, I always have music playing.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

Elyse: Three. I’ve enjoyed them all for different reasons, but my favorite so far would be my second book in the “Free Will” series; “Consequences”.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

Elyse: I do tend to base my characters on real people…but then they develop personalities outside that foundation. By the end, they are completely different creatures built almost entirely out of imagination.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

Elyse: When I started writing fiction… I had to switch the gears of my imagination from drawing and painting to writing; a smoother transition then I thought. Book finished, I thought the hard part was over…WRONG. Finding representation, queries, self marketing, promotions…I still feel the aggravation. So, I developed a theory that helped curb the frustration.
There is a farmer in the UK who loves his cattle so much he actually paints with their manure. The truly crazy part is; he actually has a following. There are people that genuinely like his stuff. Just goes to show; if you find the right market, you can actually sell excrement on a canvas.
-Moral of the story, frustration aside…if you believe your work is sellable; with patience and perseverance you will find a market.


CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

Elyse: Amazon and Barnes and Noble both carry “Voices of Autism”, and please check out The Healing Project at http://www.thehealingproject.org/main.html. I’m am still in the process of selling the novels, but I do have sneak peeks at both “Free Will” and “Consequences” on my MySpace blog. If you would like to contact me, just send me a message on my MySpace page, http://www.myspace.com/authorelysedraper.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Voices of Autism” sounds quite powerful. A very close friend of mine has a son who was diagnosed as autistic. Sadly, he was misdiagnosed and the family is trying to reverse the damage done by the treatment prior to the discovery of the truth. I'm sure your book will be very helpful to so many. Good luck!

Beth Fehlbaum, Author said...

I love the metaphor of painting with cow manure.. cool analogy!

Beth Fehlbaum, author
Courage in Patience, a story of hope for those who have endured abuse
http://courageinpatience.blogspot.com
Ch. 1 & Book Trailer are online!

Anonymous said...

I love the first two chapters of "Free Will" and can't wait to read the book. Great interview!

Anonymous said...

This is an author in which I am very interested.

Anonymous said...

Great interview. I look forward to checking out your books.
Good luck !

Asylumgirl said...

What a significant topic and so important to many families.

Deidre

Anonymous said...

What an inspiration Ms Draper is for all of us. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I have just begun to read some of Elyse's stories and am fascinated by the creative way she brings you into the story. Another amazing interview by you Crystal... :] Enjoyed every word.