Monday, September 15, 2008

Kissa Starling


Author Pen Name: Kissa Starling

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

KS: So far I’ve written erotic romance with both heterosexual and lesbian characters, romantic comedy, and sweet romance. I write whatever comes to me. I enjoy thinking up stories when submission calls are sent out.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

KS: I’ve always written, since I was little. I didn’t write, with the intent to publish, until a few summers ago. I was sucked in by a Christmas contest and I haven’t slowed down since.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

KS: Writing is a natural outlet for me. I started out in a diary and now all of my thoughts are out there for the world to see.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

KS: I always have several irons in the fire. It works out well because I can let a manuscript set for a while and then go back to at after finishing something else. I always see a story differently when I take a rest from it. I usually only write at night and on the weekends. And then only when everyone else in the house is asleep. Being a night owl helps.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

KS: Super-cali-fragulous-be-exbe-aly-do-cious (I’m sure that’s the southern spelling! Haha)

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?
KS: My biggest challenge is finding the time to get everything done that I want to. I need so many more hours in a day!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

KS: I love to do yoga, meditate, box, read, and I also review books for three different sites. I spend time with my family- we love board games and cards. We go camping and travel whenever we get the chance.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

KS: I’ve officially sold seven stories, most of them shorts. My favorite story is always the one I’m working on. I get so into it that I don’t have time to think about any of my earlier submissions. I love to do research and that helps to pull me into the characters heads and the time period of the story. I currently have nine stories out there with publishers and I’m a few weeks away from submitting a tenth. My current work-in-progress is called Swing Pointe. It’s about an amusement park that caters to adults. It’s been a lot of fun to write and create the park in my mind.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

KS: I take bits and pieces of every person I’ve ever met and combine them into my characters. Some are totally from my imagination. Chloe, in Love Angel, is not based on anyone in particular but I will say I’m a bit clumsy myself. Meeko, in Search for the Brown Boobies, is a self-driven photographer who will stop at nothing to get her picture. I’m a bit diligent myself. I see a trend. Hee, hee

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

KS: Go for it! There are so many deterrents out there to stop you from writing. Don’t let yourself become one of them. A word of advice= join this yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avoid_Writers_Hell/join I’ve learned more at that group than I’ve learned anywhere else. My writing has definitely improved since I joined.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

KS: I have a website at www.kissastarling.com that has all of my information. I started a yahoo group called Kissa’s Karma Korner that I absolutely love. The members chat, play games, and win contests periodically. Here’s the link to join that- http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kissaskarmakorner/join I’m a part of Midnight Seduction Authors and also Romance Divas so you can find me there browsing around most days.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

KS: I’d like to thank you for having me on your blog this week. Great site here by the way. I hope everyone will drop by to see me sometime or email me at kissa_starling@yahoo.com

CA: You’re welcome Kissa, it was great having you here! I hope you get some readers coming your way!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you, I do my best writing at night. I really don't read your genres, but I do wish you the very best success you could possibly achieve!
-Yours
TGreaper

Savannah Chase said...

Kissa, what a fantastic interview....You are one truly amazing author who will be big....you already are...

Desirée Lee said...

You meditate AND box? Hopefully not at the same time! *LOL*

Swing Pointe sounds delightfully naughty!

Carpe Noctem,
Des

Desirée Lee
Putting the Romance Back in Necromancy
http://www.desireelee.com
des@desireelee.com

Tara S Nichols said...

Great interview! I always love to hear what writer's do on the side, boxing is unique and so sexy.

-Tara S. Nichols

Zulmara said...

Great interview...love the many varied genres..and the advice to young authors...yes, write, write and don't let anyone deter you...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

P. Robinson said...

I was so excited to see comments underneath my interview! Whoo, Hoo- people actually read about me.hee hee

I love writing and wish kisses and hugs to anyone out there starting out on this crazy life choice!

Kissa

Anonymous said...

Good interview. Trust me you're well on your way to stardom. Your stories are great and they prove that you're very willing to stop at nothing when it comes to writing. I wish you the very best of luck with all your work. Best wishes!
KP