Monday, September 29, 2008

Jennifer Shirk *CONTEST*


*CONTEST* Jennifer is offering a copy of her ebook, The Role of a Lifetime to someone that comments this week! Make sure to leave an email addy so that I can contact you if you win!

Author Pen Name: Jennifer Shirk

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

JS: I write humorous contemporary romances. I probably write them because I’m addicted to reading them. Susan Elizabeth Phillips must sprinkle crack cocaine in her ink, because I’m a total junkie when in comes to her books. J

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

JS: I realized I wanted to write when I became first became pregnant. I started reading a lot more and decided to try my hand at it, since I had the time to devote to it—in between diaper changing, and naps, and cooking and cleaning.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

JS: My dad. He LOVED reading all kinds of books. He never tried to write one, but if he were living today, I bet he could.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing? Non-summer/holiday months are pretty much a Monday to Friday schedule, where I try to devote at least all morning or afternoon while the kiddo is in school to writing. I try to keep nights and weekends free for my family.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

JS: Stressed! It’s one thing to write for yourself and like what you write. It’s a whole other can of worms worrying if other people feel as you do about your own writing.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

JS: Honestly, with The Role of a Lifetime, there were no challenges. (Don’t ask me how that happened.)
But with the book I’m working on now, my biggest challenge is conflict. My hero and heroine are working things out way too soon. LOL!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

JS: Reading! Oh, and I love to cook and try new recipes ALL THE TIME. I’ve just started running, too, but I’m not really sure I “like” it.

CA: How many books have you written?

JS: I’ve written three: one which will never seen the light of day, one I’m still looking for a home for, and The Role of a Lifetime which is out now. Which is your favorite? Ha! The one that sold, of course.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

JS: They’re from my imagination, but I’m afraid I do tend to take a small piece of my own personality and put it into these characters in some way. Love me, love my characters.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

JS: Keep writing! Ugh, I hated it when I heard other writers say this to me, but it’s so true. The more you write, the more your style changes and your voice really begins to develop.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

JS: Feel free to contact me via my website (http://www.jennifershirk.com) and you can purchase my book through The Samhain Website at (http://www.mybookstoreandmore.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_37&products_id=980)


CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

JS: Yes! I love hearing from readers, so if you’ve read my book (and liked it) please feel free to e-mail me and tell me. Oh heck, even if you didn’t like it, you can e-mail me. LOL!

CA: Jennifer is offering a copy of her ebook, The Role of a Lifetime to someone that comments this week! Make sure to leave an email addy so that I can contact you if you win!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer! I put a line in my book nightsongs, stating if you like or hate my book, please let me know. I've learned a lot about my writing and I grew from the comments. Very good idea! I'm not so much into the romance genre, but I do love humor! Best of luck to ya! Oh, I guess I should leave my email addy:
nightreaper@sbcglobal.net
Thanks!
Tgreaper

Rebekah E. said...

Thanks for the great interview. I love romantic comedies, I'll have to keep an eye out for your books. Sometimes it is just to hard to find a good comedy.
bc428[at]juno[dot]com

Valerie Everhart said...

Great interview Jennifer! I learned a few things I didn't know about you, lol!

Asylumgirl said...

.....crack cocaine, that's funny! LOL, it's true that some books and styles of writing are so addictive to readers.

Deidre
deidre_durance@hotmail.com

Bella said...

Wonderful interview, picked a few things about you Jennifer that I didn't know before. You're an amzing writer.

Bella

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer, great interview! Of course, now I want to know what the one that "will never see the light of day" is about... ;)

Fedora said...

Thanks for the terrific interview, Jennifer! Congratulations on The Role of a Lifetime! Can't wait to read it :)

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Chicki Brown said...

So your Dad was the reader in the family. Usually it's mom.

The Role of a Lifetime was great! I can't wait for your next release.

Kristen Painter said...

I can't believe you decided to start writing while pregnant because you "had the time." LOL That seems counter to everything I've ever heard, but hey, if you can make it work, more power to you!

Anonymous said...

If even a smidgeon if Ms Shirk's sense of humor makes its way into her books, then they're hilarious! I loved this interview. Crack in the ink.... I'm howling. :)

tigger9 said...

My mom is the reader in the family and so am I but my dad isn't. Come to think of it most of the males in my family (cousins, uncles, and grandpas) don't really read either. It is mostly females in this family.

tigger9 said...

oops i forgot my e-mail. it is lexeetoste@sbcglobal.net

Kari Knutsen said...

That was indeed a very interesting and enjoyable Interview to read! I am very happy I did! I am afraid I have not been able to reaf your book yet, but I certainly will! The right questiones were asked and the answers were honest and some even funny.I like to write myself,and good advice and experience from other writers are always highly valued. Thank you so very much for sharing.

Kari Knutsen said...

That was indeed a very interesting and enjoyable Interview to read! I am very happy I did! I am afraid I have not been able to read your book yet, but I certainly will! The right questiones were asked and the answers were honest and some even funny.I like to write myself,and good advice and experience from other writers are always highly valued. Thank you so very much for sharing.

Zulmara said...

Great interview...love advice to young writers...i often give the same advice...and love that you write what you are addicted to reading...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

Crystal Adkins said...

Tigger9 is the winner!! Yay! I'll forward your info to Jennifer :) congrats!!