Monday, September 1, 2008

Charlotte Emma Gledson




Author Pen Name: Charlotte Emma Gledson

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

CEG: Horror all the way! I have written some dark poetry also but there is always a horrific edge to every thing I write. I write horror for many reasons. I enjoy it! I like to break boundaries, take my readers to places where they are drawn to, and want to stay, but feel they shouldn’t…and then shock them! Seriously though, I do find writing dark fiction therapeutic. It’s a way of exorcising my demons. I had a lot of trouble in my past, harbored most of it inside me, and through my writings it’s released!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

CEG: I think it was way, way in back…in 1997! After a bereavement I started to write poetry. Writing my feelings down became beneficial to my healing process, which led me down the road I am on today! As a kid I read a lot of horror. Stephen King’s ‘The Shining’ was the pinnacle of my desire! (as was the Kubrick’s version released in 1980), along with other authors such as, Herbert, Saul and Layman. After reading these fabulous authors, I thought wow; I wish I could do this. But sadly as a youngster, I was finally diagnosed with dyslexia and prior to my diagnosis, I was classed as a dunce! Yes seriously! They tested my eyes and ears when I was thirteen years old because they didn’t know why I couldn’t read or write very well. Hey, look at me now! It just proves that you can overcome all hardships, and goals can be eventually reached.J Also I have a fascination with the criminal mind and as to WHY such murderers and villains commit such deadly deeds.

CA: How does it feel to be in a best selling horror Anthology Sinister Landscapes that peaked to number one on Amazon??CEG: WE BEAT STEPHEN KING I AM TOTALLY STOKED!!!!! I am so utterly proud and it's a huge congratulations to Alan Draven who is the editor. Also to all that contributed. Without the brilliant stories found in this fabulous collection it would not have been possible! Way to go guys!!

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

CEG: In the literal sense, James Herbert, Stephen King, John Saul, Richard Laymon, M.R. James and Poe. Masters of Horror! Personally, it is my father. He wrote poetry and they were very deep, passionate, and dark. However some were lyrical and upbeat! He was an incredible writer, but he never fulfilled his dreams, I am doing it for him now!

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

CEG: Haphazard! I have four kids all at different ages and temperaments, my youngest just turned four last week. He is at playschool in the mornings so I do a lot then. After two and a half hours of churning up ideas (usually with my sister on the phone!), shopping, chores, laundry etc, I do manage to put some structure into my ideas. The afternoons are very random. If Eddy is happy to play the X box I will write, but he does, (and rightly so) insist that I am sitting playing and interacting with him. When the older kids come home, they take Eddy off me, and I can do more writing. Then at five o’ clock I cook, and help the older kids with homework etc and just hang out with them. So you could call it a chaotic structure that I conform to! Evenings are the best time to write, weekends also, as John my hubby will take off some of the load and cook breakfast!

CA: What is the Lonely Tree and Other Twisted Tales of Torment about? When will it be released?

CEG: The Lonely Tree is a collection of short sharp shockers. A lot of true horror comes (I feel) from ourselves and our own fears. Horror can be close to home. My twisted tales are of a more physiological nature, but I do use some graphic violence that some may find hard to stomach, but at the end of the day, its horror, and things like this do happen around us, but many tend not to talk about it.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

CEG: Spelling and Time!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

CEG: Karaoke. But now I have new neighbors that scare me, I don’t bother so much now, and it’s breaking my heart!! Also I have a keen interest in the paranormal and have been on a few ghost vigils. Though I have never seen a ghost, I would love to see one. I lived in a house for many years that had an entity, but I had never seen it, though I felt it. Every visitor that arrived at the house felt the negative vibes that this spirit incurred.

CA: Being a mother to four young children, how do you find the time to write?

CEG: When they let me! They are now finally seeing that I ‘work from home’, so when I have done the important things with them and they are settled, (or they are next to me on the PC as I have a laptop now whoo hoo!) they eventually leave me to it!

CA: As a UK female horror author and Mother that writes emotionally with graphic violent scenes and physiological harrowing situations, how do others receive you?

CEG: Not to well to be honest. A lot of my friends and family have no interest in the horror genre and when I do tell them what I have been up to, I have been getting little response. However with my peers I get a lot of support and without them, I would not continue to do this. I really feel that many just can’t believe a ‘mumzy’ figure as I am, is capable of writing graphic horror. This is why I want to promote all female horror writers to be as creative as they want, and break the mould. Be free with your mind, write your horror down and don’t be afraid to push boundaries. Ignore the ridicule, just express yourself!

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

CEG: Write for yourself, enjoy what you write and be open to all types of constructive criticism. If you get a knock back, don’t be disillusioned. Move on, keep going. Share your work with fellow writers if you are comfortable to do so. It’s always valuable to get differing interpretations. If you want to be writer, you will get some negative feedback. It goes with the territory. Some will either love or hate your work, but never let their opinions stop you from moving forward and achieving your goal. As they say ‘as one door closes, another one opens’ and I am proof of that! Also doing research is always important, and make sure you have a large drink once your have implemented that final full stop at the end of your creation! Treat yourself!

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

CEG: I am available at www.myspace.com/lotte38 and my website is http://www.charlottemmagledson.com Also my email is lotte_37uk@yahoo.co.uk

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

CEG: Just to say that this summer and fall you are able to see a lot of my work in anthologies and magazines, so look out for me. (For example, Darkened Horizons issue 5, SNM Horror Magazine, Tales from the Moonlit – Path, NVF magazine, 9 0f Swords, Word Weaver’s Ladies of Horror 2008, Cassandra Lee’s Concrete Blood, and more! Sinister Landscapes is out on Amazon.com NOW. This is a Gothic Anthology edited by Alan Draven; author of Bitternest, with a forward by Andrea Dean Van Scoyoc. The Edward Ballister Project is still on the go, where each esteemed author pens a chapter for this unique horror novel. I am also writing a novel entitled ‘Bluebells For My Baby’ hopefully to be finished by next year. Finally I want to say a big ‘Thank You’ to you, for promoting authors and aspiring authors as myself, Bless you Crystal! Thanks for letting me ramble!

CA: Thank you for rambling lol! It is always a pleasure talking to you Lottee :)



13 comments:

Chloeee x said...

Oh my gosh Lotte - I love your work :) You are my new fav author (Forget Lisa Gardener!)
You are amasing!!

smidge said...

Looking forward to your book to come out, will definitely be getting it x

Anonymous said...

Have been following your work from the start, and have a great feeling that you will do really with this book. Great interview!!

smidge said...

Looking forward to your book to come out, will definitely be getting it x

Anonymous said...

Love your writing x

Anonymous said...

Great interview!

Anonymous said...

Awesome interview Lotte!!!!--TGReaper

Anonymous said...

My favorite interviewer interviewing one of my favorite authors. I enjoyed this so much. Thank you Crystal for allowing us to see a little deeper into the dark and twisted mind of Charlotte Gledson. I believe that I understand a little better how such a beautiful spirit can pen such terrifying tales. You are truly gifted Charlotte and I am proud to call you a friend. Awesome interview.

Anonymous said...

I can't WAIT to read Ms Gledson's work. She sounds so up my alley it's not even funny. I can't thank Crystal enough for these interviews, and especially THIS one. What a woman!

Confessions of a Flea Market Rez' Queen! said...

I love this interview :-)

I know lotte from MySpace and she is one of the most homey, level-headed, and big-hearted women around!!! I know that she is a darn good writer and can't wait to read more from her!

Danielle Birch said...

Hey Lottee, great interview, and I totally agree that writing is a way to exercise demons. Love your short stories and looking forward to getting my hands on the book. Go the female horror writers!!!

Zulmara said...

Great inteview...wow...an exorcising activity...never thought of it that way...great advice to young readers...

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

Anonymous said...

So this is where all your comments are posted! Glad to see you are gettin good response; even more than mine on Crystal's blog. Hey, not fair! lol. I guess I chose wisely in featuring you in the SNM Horror anthology; only 2 weeks away!