Monday, August 11, 2008

Ronald Adams Interview



Author Pen Name: Ronald W. Adams

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

RA: Hey Crystal, and thanks for the opportunity to chat with you and your readers. I write primarily in the mystery and suspense genres, and have written two books in the Joe Banks PI series. Lake Effect was published in 2003, and Enspiren Press in March/April 2008 will release my latest, Key Lime Squeeze.

RA: As to why I write mystery novels, it’s simple really. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were already written. Okay, seriously, I have to admit I have been a huge fan of the genre as long as I can remember. As a child reading the stories of Edgar Allen Poe and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, to the Ellery Queen pulp mysteries, I was always ready to identify with the intrepid hero sacrificing all in search of the truth. Growing up, some of my favorite shows on TV included Spenser: For Hire, and The Rockford Files. Inspired by my great grandfather, one of the most voracious readers I have ever known, I began to read even more. To this day I am a fan of such diverse writers as Robert B. Parker, Janet Evanovich, John MacDonald, Kathy Reichs, Jimmy Buffett, (yes, that Jimmy Buffett), Stephen King, and Thomas Harris.

CA: Hi Ronald, thank you for hanging out here this week, I hope we can get a few new readers to come your way!!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

RA: I think the first time I realized I wanted to be a writer was as a bored child in an oxygen tent with a pack of crayons. The nurses were not amused.

As a child growing up around an extended family, I learned to appreciate the stories told by my great grandfather of “the old days” in Boston, of the family histories related by my parents and grandparents. The family genealogy was brought to life by my aunt, my Dad’s sister, who’s research earned her a DAR scholarship. And then there was the odd assortment of characters that always seemed to be around my parents home. Priests, cops, bar owners, bikers, Marines, cross country hitchhiking cousins, and even international animal rescue workers all provided their own unique stories, and a base for my developing imagination. From my great grandfather, I also developed a love of reading, which became a lifelong desire to become a writer. I took this varied background and wrote (bad) poetry for my college yearbook, and published articles based on my experiences in occupational health and rehabilitation. Based on a lifetime of colorful individuals and a love of the mystery and crime fiction genre, I published my first novel, Lake Effect, in 2003. Since that time I have worked on the sequel, Key Lime Squeeze, and have begun a third Joe Banks novel.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?
RA: As I may have mentioned, I am a really big fan of Robert B. Parker, arguably the grandmaster of the mystery/suspense/PI genre. I am also inspired by some of my favorite musicians, including the story songs of Harry Chapin and Jimmy Buffett, and by the soaring music of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I find inspiration in the stories and strength of my rehab patients, and in the wonder and playfulness of my children.

I am also inspired by the love and support of my wife, Trish. Writing was something I have always wanted to do, and she has supported my dreams 100%. She is my best friend, my toughest critic, and such a calming and grounding influence on me.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

RA: Our schedule is a bit, well it’s a little generous to call it a schedule. My wife and I work split shifts, so either mom or dad is always around for the kids. So, I write when I can, sometimes at night when the kids are in bed, sometimes in the morning before they get up, sometimes in the middle of the day during my lunch hour. I have also been known on occasion to break out my laptop during my son’s karate class. If it’s a slow class, that is.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

RA: One word? I’m not sure it exists. Excitanxious would be close.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

RA: Spending time with my family is my favorite thing to do, no matter what we’re doing. Time is so short and so precious, and as they are growing up I’m discovering how truly important it is to be there for them. As far as fun stuff goes, I like to read, watch movies, have a passion for sports, love to cook, and try to keep in shape. I also really like Texas hold’em poker, but I’ve discovered, just like my golf game, I play better when there is no money on the line.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

RA: I have written two novels in the Joe Banks series, Lake Effect (PublishAmerica, 2003), and Key Lime Squeeze (Enspiren Press, 2008). Of the two, I would have to say Key Lime Squeeze is my favorite. It has a more complex plot, more interesting and fully developed characters. I have also had the opportunity to work with a fantastic editor, who encouraged me to explore options with the story line I hadn’t considered. I have been very fortunate to work with some fantastic people on this project, and I think it shows in the quality of the storyline. Lake Effect was my first, and as such I took the lesson I learned on that book and worked them into the second, and I hope to do the same thing for third story.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

RA: My lawyers tell me to say that all the characters are fictional, and any resemblance between the characters in the book and any actual person…well, you know. Getting that out of the way, I know every character in every part of every story I write. Some of them are amalgams of several people, all rolled together. Some are just much cooler versions of real people I’ve met. Which ones are which, that’s for the reader to decide.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

RA: There is tons of how-to advice out there for the mechanics, style and structure. Those things were written by people much smarter and better trained than I am. What I would recommend would be for anyone who wants to try writing, is to read as much as they can in the style or genre they wish to write. Get a feel for what works and what doesn’t how others say or do what you want to say. Like your mom used to say, “It’s not just what you say it’s how you say it.” I would also recommend you keep notepad, pencil, tape recorder, something to note your ideas as they come along. You never know when something you see or hear or read will spark you. My wife bought me a t-shirt that says very simply “Careful, or you might wind up in my novel.” Enough said. The last piece of advice I can give would be to realize that rejection, like failure, is nothing more or less than the chance to start over again better.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

RA: The contact points will be changing as I go along, just because I am trying to expand my presence. The can contact me the publishers website, www.enspirenpress.com, or through my web page at www.bebo.com/rwadams.

Lake Effect is currently available through www.amazon.com, as well as through Waldenbooks.com and booksamillion.com. you can also order it from your favorite local bookstore. Key Lime Squeeze will also be available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble on line, as well as other online book sellers. I would also recommend to the readers to check out their local booksellers, and if they don’t have it, ask. That’s what they’re there for.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

RA: Only to thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself to your readers. I had a lot of fun doing this interview, and I hope the readers take away something positive about my writing and me.

CA: Ronald, I hope you had fun… but it is only just beginning! Readers, make sure to leave a comment for Ronald to make him as happy as a little duck! (smiles)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Excitanxious" -- lol! I love it. But you know, when words don't exist that properly convey what you want, then it's a person's JOB to invent them.

Wow, a childhood in an oxygen tent. Well, there's nothing like isolation and imagination to get the ball rolling.

What a lovely interview. More books I need to read!

Anonymous said...

What a great interview! It alone makes me want to read your books. I'm a huge fan of the mystery / detective genre so this is certainly up my alley. I wish you great success!

Charles

Anonymous said...

Best of luck and continued success Ronald!-TGReaper

Anonymous said...

ooops - i almost missed the post comment button - my Bad - UR books sound GR8 - I hope you have much success with these and in the future - Remie James

Unknown said...

Mystery and Suspence? My area now we have something in common. I will have to Hunt down the book to read!

Way to go!

Jessa Slade said...

Excitanxious! Perfect description. Must be why you're a published author :) Great interview.

Zulmara said...

Love the word Excitanxious...what a wonderful mix of beautiful emos...

Good to write in a genre you love to read..

ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara