Monday, August 4, 2008

Interview with Jimmy Gillentine *Contest*


* Contest* Jimmy is going to be giving away a copy of his book Of Blood and the Moon to someone that leaves a comment this week! Make sure to leave your email address so that we can contact the winner :)

Crystal: Jimmy it is a pleasure to interview you for SNM Horror Mag. I just finished reading your story Of Blood and the Moon and was just floored, I loved it! Where did the inspiration of this story come from?

Jimmy: A few years ago, I one day started to think of vampires and werewolves. All of these legends of monsters and night creatures, what if they were real? What if the thing that had inspired those legends was still around? Moreover, what if this thing was trying its best just to live a normal life and to blend in. What could be even worse was if this thing had emotions like you and I. Could feel loneliness, the want of love and companionship, but because of what it is could never have those things. That was the base for what became the story ‘Of Blood and the Moon’. The story changed a little over the years through all of the rewrites, but that main theme has stayed there.

Crystal: How long have you been writing?

Jimmy: I have been writing on and off for my whole life really. It was only in the last few years that I decided to see if I was good enough to get something out there for others to read and enjoy.

Crystal: What is it about the horror genre that makes you want to write horror stories?

Jimmy: It’s not just horror I enjoy writing. I love to read and write all types of genres. Everything from fantasy to children’s stories, I enjoy writing. The only thing I don’t like to write is poetry. I just don’t have the knack for it.

Crystal: What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

Jimmy: When I’m not writing, I love to read of course. I believe you can’t be a good writer if you don’t read. I also love to play on video games and of course just sit and watch a good show on TV…when you can find a good show to watch that is.

Crystal: What are your current projects? Hopefully the sequel to Of Blood and the Moon (smiles).

Jimmy: Right now I’m working on a project that takes me into a different direction from horror at the moment. I am currently working on a children’s book with my wife for my publisher called ‘The Adventures of Kitty-One’. It is a cute little story about three cats that build a rocket for adventures in space. I’m enjoying the challenge of having to switch gears and go from blood, guts, and sex to sweet, little kitties. I’m also trying to find a home for another book of mine called ‘A Night at Death’s Door’ which is a vampire novel. Soon after I get a little feed back from people who have read ‘Of Blood and the Moon’, I’ll be starting up on the sequel for it. I have two more books planned for that storyline.

Crystal: What was it like, how did you feel when you were first published?

Jimmy: One of complete shock to be honest about it. I had gone through so many rejections for my book that I couldn’t believe it that someone had liked it enough to want to take a risk on it. I hope it works out for my publisher and me.

Crystal: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

Jimmy: The best advice I can give anyone out there who wants to try to get published is go to the website The Absolute Write Water Cooler. It is a forum board for writers that has a huge wealth of information for writers about everything that has to do with the publishing business and how to write. Also, be sure to check out the website ‘Preditors and Editors’. That is a must for any writer wanting to submit their work. P&E has a listing on just about every agent or publisher out there and will let you know who is on the up and up and who is a scam just out to get your money.

Crystal: If you were not a writer, what do you think you would be doing?

Jimmy: I don’t write full time. I have a job that I work at to pay the bills just like everyone else. If I ever could make enough money to write full time with my work I would. But if I don’t, that’s fine also. To me it was more about doing something with my life besides just working a normal job all of the time. I was blessed with a good imagination, so I decided to put it to work for me. I’m just glad that I was able to do it.

Crystal: How can readers contact you or purchase your books?

Jimmy: My personal website is www.freewebs.com/ofbloodandthemoon . My fan email address is ofbloodandthemoon@yahoo.com . My book can be order off Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Just go there and type in my full name Jimmy D. Gillentine into the search and my book will come up.

Crystal: I want to thank you for taking the time to do this interview with me. I really did enjoy Of Blood and The Moon and can’t wait to see what happens! Is there anything that I left out that you would like to add?

Jimmy: I think we both covered everything. Thank you for taking the time to interview me and enjoying my work. I look forward to writing more books and stories for people out there to be able to enjoy.

CA: Jimmy is going to be giving away a copy of his book Of Blood and the Moon to someone that leaves a comment this week! Make sure to leave your email address so that we can contact the winner :)

11 comments:

Unknown said...

love your interviews like how you always finding new authors! very nice!

RockmanJay said...

Rock on, Jimmy! I doubt you'll have any problems writing a children's story. You really do have an amazing imagination, and I hope that with all of your writing efforts you exceed your own expectaions.

Anonymous said...

That is interesting that Jimmy writes different types of genres from children's stories to horror.Blood and Moon sounds like an interesting concept.I am also curious about the vampire novel since I am a vampire fan.Great interview.

mixeddudetx@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Great work, as always.

Anonymous said...

Great premise for a horror story, Jimmy. Glad to see another author branching out into other genres. Variety is the spice of life!Crytsal is, as ever, a gem.

Happily Ever After Authors said...

The children's story sounds cute. I love kitties.

Is there a story behind why you and your wife decided to write a children's story?

Bekki
bekkilynn2006@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

great work jimmy your the man . keep up the good work atrain2400@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the interview and the honesty in Jimmy's answers. Also, the advice he gave on getting published and being a new writer was spot on. Loved the interview Crystal. :]

Zulmara said...

I loved this interview...especially the premise of the book... what if they were real? What if the thing that had inspired those legends was still around?....

wow...how very powerful...a great way to start a story...maybe I will do vampires...afterall...

ADELANTE!!!
Zulmara

drzulmara@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Looks good I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jimmy,

Hope to see more from you by way of short stories for SNM horror Mag. Gee, you're awefully nice for someone that is supposed to be horror! *Growl* (ahem) SNM will be featuring this and more interviews on Crystal's Reviews link. Just Google us under SNM Horror Mag. Thanks Jimmy, for sharing some of yourself with our readers.

Steven Marshall
SNM Horror Magazine