Monday, August 4, 2008

Interview with Crystal-Rain Love



Author Pen Name: Crystal-Rain Love

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

CL: Mostly paranormal romance and romantic suspense. Why do I write the stories I write? I really have no choice. No matter what I try to write, some paranormal or suspense element finds its way in, and believe me, I'm not the mastermind behind these stories. I start off with an idea or a scene... then these characters move inside my head where they become real and next thing I know, I'm watching them play out their story like a movie and I'm just there to jot it all down. (Now don't I sound like I should be medicated?)

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

CL: When I was a little kid, all I did was read (and not little kiddie-kid books, mind you. I was an oddball.) I read Mark Twain, Louisa May Alcott, C.S. Lewis and other classics. But I always loved to read and I guess writing came naturally with that. I wrote a story in fifth grade that the school librarian loved, and I always got awards for writing so I felt I wanted to do it even then, but I never really bothered to pursue it until around 2002 when I decided enough with stalling, if I was going to do this, I was going to do it. I've been steadily writing ever since.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

CL: A bunch of mean kids! LOL! I had a speech impediment and was not a pretty child so I got teased a lot, especially when I opened my mouth to talk so eventually I just quit talking to all those mean kids and buried myself in books. The more I read, the more I wanted to create my own little worlds... I also had a wonderful English teacher for the eleventh and twelfth grade (Dr. Dee Hawkins) who was the first person to really believe in me and push me to pursue writing.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

CL: Schedule? That's funny. I have a full-time job, do some cake decorating on the side, I'm a Home Interiors consultant, I have three young children and two pony-sized dogs that refuse to stay out of trouble (They just obliterated the garden for the second time this season). Usually I start writing around ten or midnight and don't go to bed until three in the morning. Sometimes I just have to tune out the sound of the children torturing each other in the background and write a chapter. Movies and video games are great distractions for them (Bad mommy, I know, but it's for the greater good!)

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

CL: Jittery. I'm excited yet nervous. I have this fear of nobody buying it.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

CL: Love scenes! I get better as I go along but it was very hard starting out because I was like, “My family might read this!” But when you put it in perspective, I'm not writing about myself and well, I have three children. I think they know I'm not that innocent anyway. (-;

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

CL: Read, spend time with my children, play The Sims 2 ( I am beyond addicted) and surf the internet.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

CL: As of this date, I have 5 completed manuscripts (including The Fire Still Burns), 2 works in progress and about 20 stories lined up. My favorite is (working title) Destiny Be Damned, the 2nd book in my paranormal series. The characters had so many layers to them and the story itself was just so great, I constantly found myself reading it with bugged-out eyes, saying “Did I actually write this? It's like a real book!” I think it will always hold a special place in my heart—I totally fell in love with the hero. And The Fire Still Burns is up there too. It was my first sale!

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

CL: So far, my imagination but sometimes they happen to look like people I know or famous people. Adam from The Fire Still Burns looks a lot like the guy who plays Melinda's husband on Ghost Whisperer. But my characters tend to share my sarcasm and undeniable need to be a smart-ass.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

CL: Write! You'll need to believe in yourself, have a thick skin and learn to accept criticism if you intend to be published. Get used to rejection because even the greatest were rejected many times before selling!

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

CL: I can be contacted through www.myspace.com/crystalrainlove or crystalrainlove@aol.com. The Fire Still Burns will be available from www.sapphirebluepublishing.com in August 2008.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

CL: Buy my book so I don't feel like a loser! (Seriously, though, it's a great story). Drop by my Myspace and add me to your friends so you know when my next books come out and stay tuned... a few of us authors from SBP are going to be doing a basket giveaway!

CA: Thanks Crystal, I hope you have fun hanging out this week :)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

you ask very intersting questions crystal. and very nice to meet you crystal. i actually have a daughter named crystal. and was thinking baout rain for her middle name, and my other child stormy

Crystal-Rain Love said...

LOL! I always thought I had this truly unique name, that no one else's parents would think up "Crystal-Rain" but lately, I'm coming across a lot of Crystal Rain on the internet. Most of it is just user names people are choosing or band names, but there are a few people with my name out there. Now, if I ever come across another Crystal-Rain LOVE, I'm gonna freak out. That would be a little too unbelievable.

Anonymous said...

Hey crystal its nesha i'm so proud of you! you are no longer a best kept secret, keep churning them out and dont forget i work on the 2nd floor send me down a manuscript for petes sake

Anonymous said...

Great interview. I enjoyed it. Congratulation, Crystal-Rain. I have a daughter named Crystal as well. Best wishes to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to picking up your book!

Josh D.

Anonymous said...

Very intresting interview Crystal-Rain. I love your unique way of answering the questions. I can't wait until your book comes out. I'm really excited to read it. Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

I love the fact you answer each question with what appears to be genuine honesty and you have a great sense of humor. I can't wait to read your story hopefully you bring your sense of humor to your books. Best of luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Great interview.It is truly amazing that Crystal-Rain has enough time to write,esp. with a full time job,side gig,and three kids.

Crystal-Rain Love said...

It is truly amazing that Crystal-Rain has the time to sleep. Oh, wait. I knew there was something I wasn't doing. Damn.

Wow. Lots of comments. Thanks, everyone! I feel special.

Cole Reising said...

Hey Rain! Great interview! Can't wait for the book's release!

Cole

Lisa Pietsch said...

I can't wait to read that book!
Sapphire Blue Publishing launches one week from today and I just can't wait!

-Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Crystal, I can't wait to get my hands on your new book. I've read 2 of your manuscripts and have told you from the get go that you had a special voice and that you were talented. Glad someone finally saw it and is giving you that break you needed. Waiting patiently for my copy....

Zulmara said...

Great interview...you are AWESOME!!love your writing schedule...and how you fit it in any way you can...and great way to get started...reading, reading, and reading some more...


ADELANTE!!!

Zulmara

drzulmara@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I love the way you answered the interview questions w/such honesty and humility! You are so relatable and have a great sense of humor which is something I love about you as a person. Now your writings simply speak for themselves...they are AWESOME!!! I didn't really read alot until I started reading your stuff, so THANKS!!! I'm definitely one of your #1 fans, so I couldn't be more proud of you. Congrats on your publishing deal...I plan on buying the book ASAP. You deserve many good things to come your way in life, so I hope and pray your writings really start to take off now but regardless of what deals/contracts you may or may not get please stay true to yourself and always continue to write-write-write! You're so talented, so never stop sharing what God gave you cause the world would be less fortunate w/out you and your writings...seriously!!!