Monday, June 2, 2008

Interview with Roger Banks




Author Pen Name: Roger Banks

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories you write?

RB: My writing genre would be classified as fiction, though I write many variations. Currently my first novel is about the affects of a volatile relationship between a mother and son, and how this relationship affects his life. I have nine unpublished novels completed, two suspense murder mysteries, a story about the lengths a father will go through to protect his son, a tribute to my dad, a book about four women and the mistakes they make when choosing a mate and a love story from a man to a woman. As you can see I really try not to limit myself to one specific style. I really want to attempt to be versatile with hopes of captivating my readers.

Though I consider many writer’s much better than I, I want my readers to see things through my eyes. When I started compiling information, and research for my first novel, it became obvious to me that there were a lot of African American men who are messed up because of their relationship with their mothers. We often hear women advising other women, “If he doesn’t love his mother, let him go.” How many women really adhere to those words? Yes, “The Black Don Juan,” is purely fictional but there is a definite story for all. I also want mother’s to realize the very important role they play when raising a son. Yes a male child learns to be a man from his father but he learns how to love, respect, and nurture a woman from his mother. Our society went through the surprise revelation of men on the DL. Though my character is not involved sexually with gay men, he allows them to be attracted to him for status purposes only. We’ve had dialogue about the subject and then it somehow died down. As an African American community we do no deal with things we don’t agree with or approve of. Yet, in my small community in Michigan African American women have the highest rate of Aids cases. I want to open the lines of communication not to criticize, or ostracize but to realize there is a problem we must all come together to address and correct before we become extinct.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

RB: It wasn’t until after my dreams for college were shattered in my twenties. I entered college an ear playing pianist. The first day of class the professor ask each student to play a song of our choosing. I began to play “Be Grateful,” by Walter Hawkins. She stood up and began yelling at the top of her lungs for me to stop. After class she told me I should choose another major and that I would never be an accomplished musician. Needless to say that was my first and last day of college. With all of my dreams shattered my 20’s became a very volatile period for me. In 1989 I remembered something I had written as a teenager. It was an outline for a gospel musical play I had hoped to finish, direct, and produce upon completion of college. With no instruction I sat down and began writing the script and lyrics for 21 original songs. In March of 1990 “On My Christian Journey,” debuted. In 1994 when finances didn’t manifest for a touring company for the play, I decided then I wanted to try and write a novel. My first was a tribute to my dad, when I finished I had it bound as a present to him. When I realized that I actually could write a book, I was quite amazed. I then wanted to write something unlike any novel I’ve read, hence “The Black Don Juan,” was born.

CA: Who or What was your inspiration for writing?

RB: I would say I have a couple, all of the great African American writers before me, the other being my nieces and nephew’s. All of my life I have had a dream of accomplishing something or fulfilling at least one of my dreams while I still have breathe. I want them to be able to reach for their dreams and to never give up no matter what comes or goes always hold on to their dream.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you’re writing?

RB: Well I work my afternoon shift for eight hours then I come home and write for a few hours daily.

CA: Your book is about to sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

RB: Humbled.

CA: What do you like to do when you’re not writing?

RB: Sing, Play piano, organ, direct my choirs, bowl, go-carting, and hanging out with friends and family.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

RB: I have ten novels finished only one published so far.

I like all of them because they represent a part of me. I must say though, “The Black Don Juan,” and the sequel are almost at the top of the list.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination.

RB: All of my characters are strictly from my imagination, though many will say my characters remind them of someone they know.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

RB: You may contact me by my email address rogetmiguel@yahoo.com or my, myspace page www.myspace.com/writermusiciansinger, or writer37@Blackplanet.com.
“The Black Don Juan,” is available Online Only Borders.com, Barnes&Noble.com, Amanzon.com, and iUniverse.com
CA: Roger, I know I have your book for review sometime in the future and with this interview, I am looking more forward to reading it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful Interview Mr. Banks.

Anonymous said...

Hey Roger,

Nice interview for sure. I was really impressed with the fact that you have 10 novels written and only 1 published!! WOW!!! I have 3 published, 2 started, and another idea for another one... but 10 written!! Keep THAT kind of writing up, my friend!!!

Hugs from a fellow author,
MJ Allaire

Anonymous said...

LOL shoot, I didn't mean to post that as anonymous!! DARN fingers!!!

Good luck with your book!!!

:) MJ