Monday, June 2, 2008

Interview with Randall Croom

** HAVING FORMAT ISSUES ** SORRY!













Author Pen Name: Randall Croom

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?



RC: I write fiction, some people feel that it's humorous. I write because I believe it's part of why I'm alive. Sometimes, I look at what almost happened to me, could have happened to me, and what actually did happen to people around me, and I think, "Why am I still here?" And I believe part of the reason is to tell the stories I'm telling.The story about Marvin basically deals with themes that are pretty universal. He works for The Company, and he's not really happy with how his life is going. He's pretty sure that The Man is keeping him down, but this mysterious group of people called "They" are out to get him. Even worse, these guys called The Odds are against him, and he's got to walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death. But he's decided that he's going to face The Man come hell or high water, which is pretty much what it comes down to. And this story, this epic adventure with everyday people doing extraordinary things dealing with things that are common to so many of us, was just something I felt had to be told.





CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


RC: At about six years old. I had an awesome first grade teacher, Mrs. Gilmore, who really encouraged my talent. If not for her, I don't know if I would have gotten into writing the way I did. I went to something called the Young Author's Conference in my hometown of Birmingham, AL, and there was a children's author there. He read to us the book that he'd created, and I was pretty much filled with wonderment. I knew then that I wanted to do what he was doing. I actually have a children's book about 75% done, I just need an illustrator.





CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?


RC: I find inspiration everywhere, from people I meet in passing, from things I see or hear about or read about, even pieces of art. I had a really crappy job at one point, and that place inspired me. I'm actually thankful for the experience--the pain that Marvin and Herbert, my main characters in Marvin and The Man, go through while working at The Company wouldn't have been as real without that experience. So everything happens for a reason. Inspiration is everywhere. And I'd be remiss if I didn't say something about the spiritual inspiration. Sometimes, when I'm writing, something comes to me that is amazing, and I know it comes from someone greater than me. I actually have taken time out to say "thank you" while I'm writing, because I believe God just gives me some sentences as a gift.





CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?


RC: Well, I jumpstarted my novel during NaNoWriMo--National Novel Writing month, which is where you try to bang out a whole novel in November. I didn't succeed, but I did get a lot of words. During that time, I was just trying to write at any given moment. But when I got focused, I'd get up every day and go to Barnes and Noble/Starbucks on 82nd street in Indianapolis. Sometimes I'd be there for just three or four hours, other times it would be eight or ten-hour days. Then I'd come home and write some more. Other days, I'd stay up very late or get up really early and just go at it. When you've got a story you believe in like this, it just won't let you go. Basically, I had an epiphany when one of my co-workers said, "How much time do you spend on your goals and projects outside of work, Croom?" And I was like, "Maybe 10 hours a week," but even that might have been stretching it. Basically, I was working 40+ hours a week, and he told me that I should spend as much time working on my dreams as I did just working to pay bills. And he was right. I ended up leaving the job--without another one lined up--to focus on writing. I was ready for something new at the time anyway, but it really paid off: I wrote more in the three months after I left the job than I had in the previous year and a half. The best advice I give to people who want to write is simple: write. Treat it like a job. We all want to be inspired and happy and in the mood to write, but if you only did any other job when you were inspired you'd be fired sooner rather than later. Write no matter how you feel. You'll find yourself getting more inspired than you expected.





CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?


RC: Readyandexcitedhappydrivenmotivatedhopefulfrustratedbutcoolandhopingthatpeoplewill buyitatbarnesandnobleandlikeitandIamanxiouslyawaitingyourthoughtsandfeedback. That's a new word that I just made up, and it's the new longest in the English language. No, no need for applause, I'm just doing my job. What? Merriam-Webster is rejecting it? Well, if I had to pick one word that's already in existence, then I'll have to say, "ready."


CA: LOL what a feeling!




CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?


RC: Think about what to write next, and dream. But other than that, I like working out. I'm trying to bring my abs all the way back, pump up the chest a little. Maybe the picture on the back of my next book will be a full body shot, with no shirt on! I mean, Michael Chabon might have a Pulitzer, but Randall Croom has abs! Once I get buff, I might have to start doing book signings with no shirt on, just to drive traffic, you know. I also produce music, make little beats here and there. Actually I'm working on a soundtrack for Marvin and The Man.





CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?


RC: One book, Marvin and The Man is definitely the favorite. Well, there's a 10 pager I did in first grade that was pretty hot, about a spy team consisting of a father and his six-year-old son who bore an uncanny resemblance to my father and me. That thing had to have every 80s TV cliche ever--I mean, Knight Rider was on at the time.





CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?


RC: Imagination, mostly, but sometimes that's based on people I meet. Definitely, there have been some jerks who I've met, and sometimes I'll take little elements of their personalities and write that into one of my villains or something. You know how you can think of everything you wish you had said after the person who's been a jerk walks away? Well, sometimes, when I write, I'll have a character say the things that I'd wished I thought of during those times. Everything happens for a reason!





CA: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?


RC: Besides what I said earlier about writing like it's your job, I think it's important to read good books, so you'll understand what good writing looks like. There are a lot of people who write crappy books. That's why self-publishing gets a bad name. Really, there are probably as many good self-published books as there are major publisher books, but the only difference is that anybody with the money and the patience to put words on a page can self-publish. So another piece of advice is to not write books that aren't good. I think people know when something is bad, but sometimes people put it out anyway, which is fine, it's your prerogative, but don't try to act like it should be at the top of the NYT bestseller list or something. That being said, when you do write something good, believe in it and push it. I believe that Marvin and The Man is a truly great book. I'm not saying I'm the best writer, not even in the top 10,000 best writers, but Marvin is a great book and the writing is good. And I have to believe that more than anybody, because I'm out here trying to sell it. It's tough for me, because I'm not a natural seller, especially of my own things. I was in Barnes and Noble for like an hour thinking about what I was going to say to the manager as I give him or her a copy of my book. What pushed me through was the knowledge that I had the goods, that Marvin and The Man was the real deal, and that I really want people to read the book, and that maybe this conversation would help me along in that way. Writers have to believe in themselves and understand that writing the book is only like 50% of the job. Promote, promote, promote. Unless your book is bad. Please do not give me a million bulletins on myspace for a book that's not good. I assume people know when a book isn't that great, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't know, because I haven't had the experience of writing and publishing a terrible book. Maybe people will think my book is terrible, but I doubt it.





Also, don't expect to get rich. You might, but 98% of books sell less than 5,000 copies, and in 2004, less than 800 books sold more than 50,000. If you want to get rich, there are a lot better ways to do it than writing a book. Last, even though you should get inspiration from people who've done it well, do not be afraid to be original. If you want to make up your own language to write a book that can only be read by using a mirror and a decoder ring, do it.





CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?





RC: I can be contacted at randall@randallcroom.com, and you can buy my books at randallcroom.com, plus you can read chapter one of Marvin and The Man. You can also get the books at barnesandnoble.com or the Barnes and Noble store, plus a lot of other online retailers. It's available in paperback, hardcover, and e-book.




CA: Randall LOL what an awesome interview, you sound like such a great person! Thank you for dropping in this week (smiles)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An interesting title, I will have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Hey Randall,

LOVED your interview with Crystal, especially this part:

Readyandexcitedhappydrivenmotivatedhopefulfrustratedbutcoolandhopingthatpeoplewill buyitatbarnesandnobleandlikeitandIamanxiouslyawaitingyourthoughtsandfeedback. LOL!!!!

Best of luck to you!! Humor is such an important part of our lives, especially nowadays, and I loved that part about your interview, too!!

Happy reading AND writing, my fellow author!!!

Hugs,
MJ Allaire, YA Fantasy Author

Anonymous said...

A big thank you to both reading is fun and mj allaire (I'll have to check out your book). And the biggest thank you to Crystal, for all she does for writers, new and experienced, big and small.