Monday, June 2, 2008

Interview with Mark David Gerson




Author Pen Name: Mark David Gerson

CA: What genre(s) do you write?

MDG: At present, I'm writing fantasy fiction (what some might call visionary fiction), as well as nonfiction about writing/creativity and spirituality. However, I try to remain open to whatever words and stories in whatever form/genre that might be waiting inside for me to notice them and commit them to the page.

CA: Why do you write the stories that you write?

MDG: My basic philosophy of writing — and that includes what I teach and write about — is that we don't choose the stories we write (at least not consciously). They choose us. My job as a writer is to trust that the stories are there, listen for them, surrender to them and translate them into words on a page. Perhaps the question ought to be, "Why do your stories choose you?" To that question, I have no answer!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

MDG: When I was in public school and university, I hated writing and didn't believe I was creative. I focused on math, where there was only one right answer and avoided all the shades of gray that mark creativity in all its forms. Like my stories, I suppose, writing found me. It hooked me first when I began working in public relations after college and had to write, sunk the hook deeper when I began freelance writing on the side and, finally, conquered me when I reluctantly took a creative writing workshop in my mid-30s. Suddenly, I was launched on a new path of writing, teaching writing and writing about writing.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

MDG: Perhaps the two most profound sources of inspiration for the kinds of writing I now do are Ursula K. Le Guin, particularly her Earthsea books, and Madeleine L'Engle. Even though the Earthsea books and L'Engle's books are considered Young Adult fiction, I only discovered them as adults. Both L'Engle and Le Guin have also profoundly affected my philosophy and approach toward writing, along with Ray Bradbury, Steven King, Natalie Goldberg and others too numerous to mention.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

MDG: It varies from project to project. Sometimes from week to week. In the past, I've written in the mornings but that seems to be changing. I try not to be attached to any particular rhythm or routine, knowing that each project has its own rhythm that it demands of me.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

MDG: Gratified.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

MDG: Reading, watching movies, hiking in nature, teaching and talking about writing and how anyone can write because we're all innately creative.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

MDG: I've written and published two: The MoonQuest: A True Fantasy and The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write. A third book, a sequel to The MoonQuest, is in process. I can't name a favorite any more than a parent can name a favorite child. I love them both — for their strengths and weaknesses and for what they've taught me and continue to teach me.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

MDG: I don't consciously manufacture my characters. They form on the page. At the same time, I'm sure they're influenced by people I know or have met. It's the same for the "imaginary" places in the mythical land that is The MoonQuest's setting.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

MDG: The MoonQuest: A True Fantasy and The Voice of the Muse: Answering the Call to Write (along with its companion 2-CD set of guided meditations for writers, The Voice of the Muse Companion) are available online via Amazon.com or http://www.lightlinesmedia.com/. They're also available at selected bookstores coast-to-coast. For more information about me, or to subscribe to my free newsletter, visit http://www.markdavidgerson.com/.

CA: Mark, I have your book up for review shortly and I look forward to reading your writing style.
Thank you for dropping in this week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Crystal, for interviewing me. It's a great pleasure and privilege to be here on your blog.

BTW, if there are any writers out there, I've just created a new blog of free tips and inspiration for writers. Please check it out and leave your comments at http://thevoiceofyourmuse.com

Anonymous said...

Fascinating interview, Mark. You struck a chord with me stating that the stories choose you. I think all authors should consider themselves as vessels, that we are guardians and shepherds of the written word in all forms. That kind of respect for writing only improves the stories we tell.

As always, Crystal brings out the best in us.

Anonymous said...

Mark, how many books in the muse series are you going to have? I love reading those types of books.
Reading Is Fun

Rashmi said...

Great interview!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

Great interview and congrats on the completion of your new book! Like Alan said, you also made me smile with your comment about how the stories choose you. I am now working on the 4th book in my YA Fantasy series and when I was writing book 3, I had notes that I had taken for what I wanted it to be about, per se, but after I finished it I went back and looked at the notes and realized I didn't come all that close with the notes I meant to follow!!!

Put the pen to the paper and let the story tell itself!!!

Great job, Crystal, as always!!!

Hugs,
MJ Allaire
www.mjallaire.com

MiriamJ said...

I am happy that I stopped by. This is an excellent and enlightening interview. Congratulations, Mark on your literary success.

Thanks, Crystal. Keep up the outstanding work that you are doing.
Blessings,
ML Jacobs
http://candalyse.wordpress.com
www.candalysepublishing.com