Sunday, June 15, 2008

Interview with Karl L. Kruger





Author Pen Name: Karl L. Kruger

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

KLK: I began writing military fiction short stories that were based upon my own experiences as a Trauma/En Route Care Nurse in Fallujah, Iraq, but my true love is writing Young Adult Fantasy Fiction. I believe that there is no other genre that lends itself as well to the use of metaphor.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

KLK: I always wrote a lot when I was a child. I remember writing quite a few young detective/mysteries when I was in fourth grade. But it wasn’t until I became a father that I really started putting some of these stories down on paper. My children used to have me make up little stories on the spot. I remember one time in particular, my daughter asked for a story about a princess and a dragon. She was only three at the time and I was afraid of telling a traditional “slay the dragon” story. So I turned it into a sort of “love conquers all” story. She loved it!

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

KLK: When I was in elementary school, I read every book in our library regarding Greek mythology. I was fascinated with the subject. After I read them all, I moved on to Norse, but those stories just didn’t have the same great feel to them. So I started making up my own. Then, many years later, my two children were voracious readers. So I wanted to write something for them. When I learned that I was going to be deployed to Fallujah, Iraq, I made an attempt to put all of these “life lessons” that are so important to pass down to the next generation into a parable format. So the book Pajo was born.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

KLK: I’m still an active-duty military nurse. I work in the Intensive Care Unit of Naval Medical Center, San Diego. So those twelve-hour shifts really take their toll! But on my days off I usually try to sit down and dedicate four to five hours to writing. I have found that you really do need to treat writing as if it’s your job. I need to take it seriously in order for it to work.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

KLK: Although my children are my primary audience, it feels wonderful to have other readers get in on it! I’ve received great feedback on the book already and, as anyone who writes can attest, this story that you created is very much like your child. No one likes it when someone says that you have a goofy-looking baby! But you swell with pride when someone comments on how well behaved your son is! It’s much the same with your writing. You really put yourself out there and expose yourself by putting your thoughts, your story, and your soul down on paper for others to see.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

KLK: Usually working in the hospital, it seems! But I also enjoy spending as much time as I can with my family. We do a lot of outdoor activities such as running, rollerblading, or just going to one of the many parks or beaches here in San Diego.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

KLK: Pajo is my first book, but it is the first in a series. The next book in the series will be named, The Prince’s Orphans and is approximately ten percent complete. I need to hurry with these next two books, however. I already have started mentally outlining the next book after those!

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

KLK: Great question. Mostly my characters are metaphors for character traits or are vehicles for illustrating decision paths. But some of them are inspired by real people that I’ve met. One of the characters in Pajo, Talm Geneson, was a loose mix of Huckleberry Finn, The Artful Dodger, and my father. I think that dad would have liked Talm, despite—or perhaps because of—his many faults.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

KLK: Writing can be a difficult, and emotional, process. First, believe that you can do it. For every author out there, there are ten who could have done it but never followed through. Second, if you make that decision to be a writer, then don’t take it lightly. As long as you treat your writing like it’s only a hobby, then that’s the limit that you have set for yourself. If you’re serious, then treat your writing like it’s your career.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

KLK: Readers can contact me at pillarsauthor@san.rr.com and the website for Pajo and the rest of The 3 Pillars series is http://www.the3pillars.com/. Pajo can be purchased at any online bookseller such as Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

KLK: Only that I really enjoyed this interview and I appreciate the opportunity given by you, Crystal, and others out there interested in independent literature! Thanks!

CA: Thank you Karl, as you know I have read and reviewed PAJO and it was amazing! I do hope you continue to pump out those books, you’ve really got the talent!
Here is the review link for Pajo:
http://bookreviewsbycrystal.blogspot.com/2008/02/pajo-by-karl-l-kruger-print-book.html


1 comment:

windycindy said...

Thanks for a delightful interview with Mr. Kruger! It is always so interesting to hear what an author is like and the inspiration behind their works! His new books sounds like a great read. I like that it is a series book. Thanks, Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com