Sunday, June 8, 2008

Interview with Dee Dawning



Author Pen Name: Dee Dawning

CA: What genre(s) do you write?

DD: Before I answer, Crystal, I’d like to thank you for having me. It is a privilege and an honor; now your question. I’ve pretty much stayed in various sub-genres of contemporary. Contemporary erotic romance, erotic chick-lit, suspense, action thrillers. I did write one erofantasy short story and I’d like to do more.

CA: Dee it is an honor to have you here with me this week as well!! Thank you for taking time out to do this interview!

CA: Why do you write the stories you write?

DD: Since I began writing fiction some three years ago, I seem to have a compulsion to write. Why do I write contemporary? I’m not sure. I like to read Sci-fi, fantasy etc. but I guess if I’m going to write, I’d like to write about something that has a possibility of happening.

Maybe I strive to live within my characters and I sure as heck wouldn’t want to be a vampire or werewolf.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

DD: This is strange. A little over three years ago, my wife was out of town taking some classes and I had an idea for the beginning of a story. so I sat down and typed it out and then I typed some more. I never knew where it was going but I didn’t stop until I had a ninety-five thousand word action/thriller.

I never realized I wanted to be a writer until I started. Then I was hooked. I found the idea of creating stories including people, and events fascinating. If you think about it, it’s almost Godlike. Hey maybe I ought to look into that as a story. People in one of my books worshipping their creator—Dee Dawning. Wouldn’t that be bizarre?

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

DD: President Bush. I wrote so many rants and diatribes about him I honed my writing skills on Dubya. LOL

Seriously, I don’t have an inspiration, unless it’s the bevy of authors I used to read before I got too busy doing my own writing.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

DD: Freaky. I wake up between 1 and 3am and write until 8-ish, work my day job, which is designing and building homes, (not a particularly rewarding business right now) until about four. Then write again or I get on the internet and promote. I go to bed between 7 and 9pm.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

DD: Would you believe regret? I regret that relatively few people know about me and my books, but I’m working on that. With each new release more and more people will read me.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

DD: Dead ends and new ideas. I have a graveyard of partially written novels. Some I stopped because I didn’t like the path I’d taken, never bothering to fix them and others I set aside to work on a hot new idea.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

DD: Gosh, not much. Maybe I’m daydreaming up plots, shooting or catching bad guys, helping a friend out of a jam or maybe I’m making love to a beautiful woman. You did know I’m a man didn’t you? LOL

CA: How many books have you written?

DD: I’ve written five full length novels, two novelettes and about six shorties. One of the novels and novelettes is set to be released shortly. Oh yeah, I wrote a screenplay of one of my novels.
`
CA: Which is your favorite?

DD: Whew! That’s like picking a favorite child. I usually like the newest and freshest best. In that case it’s tie between my newest published , Getting Naked at the Hilton and my soon to be released, Love and Seduction in Las Vegas. I also made the cover for the latter.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

DD: A little of both. Sometimes, I’ll borrow a name too.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

DD: Go get ‘em tiger!

CA: LOL

DD: Anyone who wants to be a writer needs to develop a thick skin and perseverance. I went around with the agents on my first book and got nowhere, so I turned to the epubs. After beating my head against the wall for months I got my first acceptance in sixteen hours. I was so used to rejection, I thought there had to be a mistake. That book, Fortune Cookies went on to be a finalist for an Eppie award this year.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

DD: They can email personally at: deedawning@yahoo.com or visit my web page: http://deedawning.millenniumpromotion.com/

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

DD: Yes, thank you. I’d like to address my readers and would be readers.
It’s you I write for. Your approval, your praise. It’s keeps me going. It inspires me. If you like what I wrote, tell me about it. If you didn’t like something, I want to hear that too.
I take my compliments wherever I can get them. My editor on Fortune Cookies said she wanted to edit everything I do. My editor for Getting Naked at the Hilton apologized for taking so long because she got so involved in the story she had to keep going back to reread and do her job.
To those who have yet to read me, a word. Yes, I write about sex, but I won’t get into extreme sex. I would never write anything demeaning to women. I love women.
I consider myself an entertainer. People say my books are entertaining and that’s just fine. If you read one of my books and are entertained, the next time you want to be entertained, you’ll probably grab another Dee Dawning book. They’re all different, but then again they’re all the same—entertaining.

CA: Thank you again Dee for being here and sharing your interview with myself and the readers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would definitely like ro read something from you!

TamiC said...

You know Dee we are in some of the same Yahoo groups and I believe you are a friend of mine on Myspace, I always thought that you were a woman! When you said wife in the interview I was like oh she is a lesbian LOL Dang I feel dumb!!!! Knowing you are a man makes me that much more excited to read your books. Look forward to chatting with you in our groups.

Thank you Crystal for letting us know about the interviews on JAPM.
TamiCullen@Hotmail.Com