Sunday, May 18, 2008

Interview with Wendy Tolliver


Author Pen Name: Wendy Tolliver
CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?
WT: I write young adult novels, the first two are romantic comedies for Simon Pulse.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
WT: I’ve always been a pretty decent writer. By that, I mean I earned good grades on anything that had to do with writing (too bad it didn’t apply to geography, which I’m terrible at). I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to be when I “grew up,” but one day, about five years ago, I had a fun experience that I felt would make a great chick lit novel, so I sat down and started typing away. This manuscript never sold, but it was a finalist in some RWA-sponsored contests, and I was able to sign with my first literary agent. The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren was my first attempt writing for young adults, and it was published at the very end of 2007.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?
WT: At first, it was an experience hobnobbing with celebs. Now anything can spark an idea: a movie, an ad in a magazine, a conversation with friends, etc.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
WT: Crazy! I’m a pretty fast writer, but I have such a busy life right now, what with promoting The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren, getting Miss Match ready to go to the printer, coming up with new novel proposals for my editor, and raising three little boys. I have some help with the latter part, a Mommy’s Helper who comes in a couple of days a week so I can hole up in my home office and write.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?
WT: When it came out, the word that describes how I felt would have to be YEEEEHAAAAW!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?
WT: Read, snowboard/ski, hike, watch movies, play with my boys, sleepCA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?
WT: I’ve written one that’s already out and one that will come out spring 2009. Asking which one I love best is like asking me which of my sons I love best … I love them both!

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?
WT: They might have certain characteristics that I glean from real people, but no character of mine is based entirely on a real person.

CA: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
WT: Read as many books as you can!

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?
WT: My web-site is http://www.wendytoliver.com/ and there’s a contact page there. My books can be purchased anywhere books are sold. If you do happen to read The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren or Miss Match (once it’s out), I’d love to hear what you thought of it!
CA: Thanks for being here Wendy! I have your book to review so it will be really soon and then you’ll know what myself or one of the other reviewers that are working with me thinks (smiles) it is a very cute cover!

1 comment:

Zulmara said...

wow...both books sound nice...

ADELANTE!!! and best of luck to you...love the cover of Siren....

cuidate,

Zulmara