Sunday, May 18, 2008

Interview with J.K. Coi


Author Pen Name: J.K. Coi

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

JKC: Hi Crystal, thanks for having me here. I write contemporary paranormal romance/urban fantasy. Mainly because it’s what seems to come most naturally for me. I’m not cut out for all of the research that I would need to do for a historical, or the precision plotting that would have to go into a mystery. Not that I don’t do any research or plotting, but it’s different. I research biblical lore and mythology for my beastly demons, and I plot only far enough to get a general idea of what’s going to happen by the end of the book—and then it always changes by the time I get halfway through the book.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

JKC: I realized I wanted to be a writer after finishing my first book. Crazy since I’d already been writing for months by then. But when I started the book, it was really just for fun. I had no expectations about what I would do after it was done. But that day did eventually come (about 9 months later) and I realized then that I wanted keep writing more. I joined RWA and went to my first chapter meeting, and it’s been a rollercoaster ride ever since.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

JKC: I’ve said before that my parents are really responsible for my writing, because they fostered a love of reading in me from very early on and my desire to write flowed from there. But I’ve also been inspired by all of the authors that I have read over the years. It is very awesome and humbling to read stories and realize just how hard the authors have worked, sweated blood and cried tears of frustration, in an effort to bring their books to the world, but in the end they have succeeded in creating such amazing, creative tales. I wanted to feel that sense of accomplishment as well.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

JKC: Schedule? Hah. I just write when I can, any moment I can find. I have one full day a week where there’s no one home to interrupt me, and I don’t have to go to the day job. Beyond that, I write in the evenings, and some weekends if I know I’m running behind.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

JKC: Exhilarated. Nervous. Tired.
(Sorry, I’m feeling way more than one thing here.)

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

JKC: Finding the time. When I started writing, like I said, it was kind of just for fun. So if I didn’t write for a day, or a week, it was no big deal. But that changed. All of a sudden I had a whole second full time job and I had to try and fit it in EVERY DAY. It took some getting used to, not only for me, but for my family as well.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

JKC: That doesn’t happen often, but when it does, I love playing around with stained glass. I make windows and sun catchers and Christmas ornaments. I can’t get enough of the play of light through the different colours and patterns. I also like to paint and I love to read.

CA: I love stained glass it is so pretty! I have been on the lookout for a stargazer lilly suncatcher and have yet to find it!

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

JKC: I’ve completed three books to date. I’m working on the fourth now. So far, I’m pretty fickle. I love the one I’m working on the best. Probably because the voices of those characters are the loudest and their images are the sharpest.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

JKC: I’m going to say they’re from my imagination—just in case anyone I know is reading this, LOL. But really, I think I take bits and pieces of people I’ve met and meld them into my characters. No one character is a representation of any one person I know, but more of a melting pot of lots of different people.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

JKC: Just write. If it’s what you want, then worry about the rest later. But get the book finished.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

JKC: You can find out more about me and my books by visiting my website at: http://www.jkcoi.com/
I also have a myspace page: www.myspace.com/jkcoi and you can find me on Facebook
The books are available from Linden Bay Romance at: http://www.lindenbayromance.com/ and trade paperback copies will be available shortly from Amazon.com
I also blog twice a week with three of my writer friends at http://www.vauxhallvixens.blogspot.com/, so come on over and visit. We’re always having loads of fun.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

JKC: Just that I’ve gotten so much joy out of this writing thing since I started, and I hope the readers get just as much out of my books. Thanks so much for having me here. I had a lot of fun!


CA: J.K. it was great having you here! Don’t forget to stop in sometime this week to read your comments!
Hugs, Crystal

7 comments:

Zulmara said...

wow...geat interview...loved the comment on your parents and the love of reading...that is very special...

ADELANTE!!

Zulmara

J.K. Coi said...

Crystal! Thanks again for the opportunity to be interviewed by you. It was great fun!

J.K. Coi said...

Zulmara, thanks very much! It's nice to meet you.

Happily Ever After Authors said...

Hint, hint -

If the elusive stargazer lily stained glass ornament is found - I'd love one, too.

J.K. - will any of your characters take on the hobby of stained glass? I think it'd be interesting to see the side we know nothing about.

Bekki

J.K. Coi said...

LOL, I will commit to making a stained glass stargazer lily window catcher or ornament (sounds pretty and I'll make one for myself too)--If someone sends me a picture first. I'm no real artist.

Bekki, I never really thought about my characters having this hobby, but it would be a great idea. Not to make it a technical lesson or anything, but the process is amazing. Of taking a picture, making a pattern from it, choosing the right glass, making calculated careful cuts and putting it together. Hmm. I feel inspiration coming on. Just not sure if I should get out my glass cutter or my laptop.

Happily Ever After Authors said...

Go with the inspiration. lol

I can send you a photo.

Bekki

J.K. Coi said...

Hey Bekki, go ahead and I'll let you know when I get it done! You can find my email address on my website: www.jkcoi.com