Saturday, May 10, 2008

Interview with Adam Huber



Author Pen Name: Adam Huber

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

AH: Non-paranormal horror and crime fiction. Honestly, I write what entertains me and try to push a few boundaries in the process. If you’re not having fun with it, what’s the point, right?

CA: I would say with the book Snuff that you wrote with Eric Enck is definitely pushing some boundaries! It was an amazing horror novel!



CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

AH: I’ve been writing professionally for four years or so, but in a different facet. I’ve honed my craft as a staff reporter for a local newspaper down here in Delaware, with a focus almost entirely on non-fiction. I met Eric Enck while working on a profile about him for the newspaper and eventually we became friends. Over some shots of gut-rot tequila at a Cinco de Mayo party, he proposed working together on a novel, and “Snuff” became my first real venture into fiction. It’s been a fucking blast, and I’ve never looked back.



CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

AH: Eric was definitely my inspiration for trying my hand at fiction. He made it sound so easy (we’re talking about a guy who churns out 10,000 words everyday). For me, it’s not nearly that easy, but it’s a fun challenge. I’ve always had a creative side, but I lack any discernible talent in other artistic mediums. Writing allows me to vent and create. It gives me freedom.



CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

AH: Since I still work fulltime for the newspaper, most of the work for “Snuff” and future fictional endeavors takes place at night or on weekends. Unlike a lot of writers I’ve met or spoken to, I don’t have a set schedule; I just write whenever inspiration hits me.



CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

AH: Stoked (or is that nervous?)



CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

AH: Oh, the usual; drink, read, hang out with my cats, gamble, masturbate, etc…

CA: *snickering*

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

AH: “Snuff” is my first novel. It has, however, inspired me to write some short stories and begin hashing out ideas for future novels, including a new venture with Eric that is still in the conceptual phases.



CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

AH: It’s a mix of both. Without real people, there would be no basis for imaginary characters. The characters in my work are never based directly on anyone I know, but I do steal mannerisms, habits, ticks, etc. from the people I meet and from friends and family.



CA: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

AH: Well, I’m still really an aspiring writer myself, so I hesitate to impart my extremely limited wisdom on anyone. I will, however, say that working so closely with Eric on my first project has been exceedingly helpful. He’s walked me through the contractual, promotional and business side of things. If you’re trying to get published or have had a manuscript or story accepted and you know someone in the industry that you trust, try to work closely with them. Never be afraid to ask questions or do a little research.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

AH: Eric and I are MySpace whores and can be contacted at www.myspace.com/snuff08 or through e-mail at deadgirls@snuffthebook.com.

“Snuff” will be on sale in July and will be available through Blu Phier publishing, in limit stores and all major online retailers. Feel free to contact us about getting your own copy.

CA: Adam, as you know I loved “Snuff” and I think this interview was great, as you’re an aspiring writer yourself. I really appreciate you taking time away from the ball gag to be here this week. *Read “Snuff” then you’ll understand*
Here is my review on Snuff: Click HERE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the review Crystal did for "Snuff" I would be wanting to read your stories in the local newspaper you write for! LOL Great interview!

Sarah Scott

Anonymous said...

Sarah, Snuff really was gruesome! I'm telling you it was some hardcore stuff!