Sunday, April 27, 2008

Interview with Sean Harris



Author Pen Name: Sean Harris

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

SH: My novels have a lot of paranormal elements in them but they also deal with Christianity. They are not, however, Christian fiction. I write about those themes, frankly, because that's what interests me. I've always been drawn to the paranormal, yet I'm also something of a skeptic. My characters often have first-hand proof of the paranormal, but they have to deal with a world that constantly doubts them.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

SH: I started writing in grade school. I wrote a couple of plays that my friends performed for school talent shows and some we did just for fun. Later, I moved on to writing short stories, but those were mostly just to entertain my friends. I was never very serious about it when I was young because I had other career ambitions and wanted to pursue those. I didn't really pick up writing again until after I finished graduate school. I suppose it was writing my thesis that convinced me I might want to pursue writing full time. Funny how sometimes you just fall into things.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

SH: Certainly my parents were a big inspiration for me when I was young. They were always very supportive of what I wanted to do. They still are. I always make my mom proof my work for me. I hope she enjoys it. Most of my inspiration now, however, comes from my husband. I don't think I would have ever ventured down this path if not for his love and support.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

SH: I am fortunate enough to be a stay-at-home mom. Most of my days are filled with kid-oriented things, so I tend to write late at night. That's when I'm at my most creative, anyway. I also get a lot of writing done while sitting in the car, waiting to pick my son up from school.
CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

SH: Anxious. When you spend months or even years of your life working on something, you'd like to think it's good. Writing is also something that's very personal so there's a lot of me in my books and in my characters. I appreciate criticism, because when someone points out your shortcomings it makes you better at what you do, regardless of what that might be. I've heard of other writers (much more famous than I) who sometimes lash out at their fans when they are critical of their work. Justified or not, I can understand that. Characters come from a very personal place and when that gets criticized, even though it isn't meant to be personal, it's difficult not to take it that way. Everyone wants to be liked. I hope this doesn't make me sound like too much of a whiny jerk. :)

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

SH: I love to read when I've got the time. I'm a sucker (pun intended) for vampire novels of all stripes but I like other genres, too. I'm also an avid gamer. I prefer RPGs but I rarely have the time to play much anymore. Most of my free time I spend with my family, though.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

SH: I currently have only one published novel The First Seal, though The Second Seal should be available soon. The third in that series is nearly complete and I recently started a new paranormal series that I'm very excited about. I don't know that I have a favorite. Like my children, I love them all equally and differently based on their own individual merit.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

SH: My characters are always based, at least in part, on people I know whether it be their personality or just their appearance. I also name my good (as opposed to evil) characters after my friends. It tends to encourage them to buy my books if they know they're in one.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

SH: The First Seal: The Templar Trial is currently available at Amazon.com, Barnesandnoble.com and Target.com. The Second Seal: Bernard's Prophecy should be available at the same outlets in February 2008. You can find me online at myspace.com/seanharrisbooks or sevensealsbooks.com Thanks, Crystal!

CA: Thank you Sean for sharing a little about you and your writing! It is really great being able to be a stay at home Mom but it is hard finding time for yourself as you said; you write in the car while waiting to pick up your kids from school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like that you base your charcters on people you know! I think it gives people a bit of excitment knowing they were written about in some way..lol..good or bad!

Sarah S.

Anonymous said...

Always nice to read about a fellow author, Sean. The biggest bane of writers is not enough hours in the day! Lovely interview, thanks in no small part to Crystal. Well done girls!

Desirée Lee said...

I am intrigued by the characters skeptical POV and dealing with their doubts. I think that would make for great conflict in the books.

I too am a sucker for vampires and a gamer geek! Right on!

Carpe Noctem,
Des

Desirée Lee
Putting the Romance Back in Necromancy
http://www.desireelee.com
des@desireelee.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Sean, I'm just making my rounds saying hello and to make sure everyone is behaving themselves :) Hope you've enjoyed visiting at my blog :)