Sunday, April 27, 2008

Interview with Derek Gunn **CONTEST**



* CONTEST *
Author Pen Name: Derek Gunn

CA: Derek is graciously offering a copy of his book Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder to one of the lucky commenters this week! So if you’re interested in Vampires then this is the author for you! So come on and comment..good luck!
Once the winner is announced you have 5 days to claim your prize or another name will be drawn…enjoy the interview!!

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

DG: So far I have written in the horror genre, though some of my novels could easily be described as Fantasy with a horror slant I suppose. I write what I like and what comes to me. I might see something or read a news article and think…What if… and it goes from there. One of my novels is set during the Napoleonic Wars while the others tend to be in the present ot near future.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

DG: I suppose when I started to read at a very young age. I have always considered how I would have written any stories I read or ideas would just come to me. I have jotted down ideas and stories since I was around twelve. I suppose though, in those days there was no internet, so there was little opportunity to reach a wide audience.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

DG My early inspiration would be James Herbert, Graham Masterton and, of course, Stephen King.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

DG: Not long enough I’m afraid. I have a full time job and a family, which is also a full time job so the writing has to fit around those. That pretty much leaves some nights and weekends. With any luck I will be able to expand that in the future.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

DG: It’s my second book that’s about to be launched but the feeling is pretty much the same as the first one. I’m amazed that the publisher liked it enough to release it, proud that I was able to complete it and nervous of the reaction. I was delighted with the response for the first book and I feel this one is way better so I hope the readers agree with me.

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

DG: Time. I have more ideas than time at the moment, hopefully that will always be the case.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

DG: I still read a lot and listen and play music.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

DG: I am in the process of finishing my sixth, which is the third in the current series of Vampire Apocalypse. My favourite is called The Estuary and has yet to see the light of day I’m afraid. This is a zombie novel, though with a twist. It is set in Ireland where weapons are very rare and this changes the dynamic of the story. There’s no blasting hundreds of the undead apart in this one. It’s more close quarters and strategic and works really well because of that I feel.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

DG: There’s a small piece of everyone I know in all my characters I suppose but I don’t tend to base a full character on anyone I know.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

DG: Stick with it and keep writing. Every writer I know has a large collection of rejection letters so don’t let that put you off. You have to believe that quality will always rise above everything else.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

DG: My e-mail address is derekg@iol.ie and I’d love to hear from anyone who takes the time to read my work. My website is at http://www.derekgunn.com/ and my blog is available through there. The Vampire Apocalypse fiction series has it’s own website – http://www.vampireapocalypse.com/ with book excerpts, latest news and updates and of course, readers can keep up to date with the progress of Vampire Apocalypse from page to screen (VA is under option and in development by an LA-based producer – details on IMDb). My books are available through all on-line retailers and can also be found in bookshops. As it’s small press it might not be on the shelf of every bookshop but it can certainly be ordered by any bookshop and they will be happy to get it in for you.

CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

DG: Vampire Apocalypse: Descent into Chaos is the name of my new book and should be available around September. For anyone who enjoyed the first book this one is nearly twice as big, has way more action and will leave you gasping for the third book. For anyone who hasn’t read the first boook, VA: A World Torn Asunder, then rush out and buy it. You won’t be disappointed.

CA: Thanks again Derek, and how cool of you to offer your book as a prize to one lucky commenter!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow...6th book and you find the time to write between a job and a family...congradulations! I can't find the time to do anything! Best wishes to you and your new book!

Sarah S.

Anonymous said...

Another James Herbert fan! Well done for completing so many books, Derek. I'm up to the same number with the same hassles...full time job, family etc. Great interview. Crystal is such a pleasure to work with. Good luck for the future.

Alan J. Garner

Anonymous said...

i have loved vampires since god knows when. i cant remember what first got me into them. it was either John Carpenter's Vampires or Interview with a Vampire(the movie).
if only i could get my hands on the first Vampire Apocalypse book. still, it'd be nice to win this one and add it to my slowly growing collection of vampire books(i only have 5 so far. the first 4 Anita Blake books and one of the way later ones because i saw it at wal-mart lol)
who's your publisher?

Derek Gunn said...

Sarah,
I have a great wife who puts up with me and gives me as much time as family life allows, to shut myself away and write!

Alan,
Yes, James Herbert rocks!

Steven,
The Vampire Apocalypse books are published (and forthcoming from KHP Industries (under their Black Death Books imprint, a small genre US press. The first book, Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder, is widely available from online book sellers and can be ordered at most book stores.

Asylumgirl said...

I love any books about vampires. I have been fascinated by them ever since I was a child. I either wanted to be one or be with one. LOL

Deidre

Unknown said...

Great interview! I have always loved reading vampire books. I still don't see how authors keep up with their daily things and still find time to write. You guys must stay really busy.

Anonymous said...

Derek, i would have to say you have an awesome wife! for her to be patient and give you the time you need to do something you love!Most people don't have someone in thier life to give them that!
Sarah S.

Shiela Stewart said...

Excellent interview, Derek!!

I love a good vampire book. Can't wait to read yours. :)

Desirée Lee said...

More vampire books for me to add to my TBR pile!

I never get enough of vampire reads.

Your zombie novel sounds intriguing too.

Carpe Noctem,
Des

Desirée Lee
Putting the Romance Back in Necromancy
http://www.desireelee.com
des@desireelee.com

Anonymous said...

Derek, revealing interview! Thank you for being so candid. I can relate to your demanding schedule. Wheeew! Children and jobs... vampire literature is up my dark alley of forbidden release. Best of luck =)

Scorpius Blood &
The Sunz of the Zodiac TM,
Writers-Illustrators

Pssssst... you should check out Clash at Creeden on Myspace.com/scorpiusblood

PEACE!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawné Dominique said...

Well, from one vampire novelist to another, Bravo! Derek, your novels sounds AMAZING. Another to add to my TBR every growing list. I love reading these interviews, Crystal, but more so because I see how similar I am to other authors. It's a warm, fuzzy feeling to know I'm not alone--or insane! I'm just an author. *snickers* Plus, we all seem to have the same inherent need to write...and then write some more.

Anonymous said...

Corrected:
Jeanna Tendean said, Yes, I absolutely LOVE Vampires and I can't wait to read yours!

Anonymous said...

HI Derek, and everyone! Good luck on winning Derek's book! The coverart is very eye catchy!
So how do you think you're week has been Derek?

Derek Gunn said...

Crystal,

My week has been great! Thanks everyone and I hoped you enjoyed the interview. Don't forget to visit me at www.derekgunn.com or if you want to keep up with the latest Vampire Apocalypse news and movie updates, stop by www.vampireapocalypse.com

Cheers!

Derek