Friday, April 18, 2008

Interview with David Lee Summers


Author Pen Name: David Lee Summers

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

DLS: Most of my work is science fiction, which I write because it's the genre where I can best express my hopes and even a few fears about the future. I also think it's important to give people a glimpse of this big wonderful universe we live in. I have a degree in physics and have worked at a number of observatories and science fiction is a way that I can share some of the wonders that I've seen with others. I would love to see the center of the galaxy, visit nebulae, and travel to planets around other stars. I hope to inspire people to start taking steps in that direction.I also write some horror, or some might call it paranormal romance or even dark fantasy. Most of that fiction involves vampires and I was first inspired to write horror when I read "Dracula" over a few nights while working at an observory. I had to walk around the lonely mountaintop at night after reading some of Stoker's passages. It really gave me the chills. I like writing horror and particularly about vampires because they see the world from eyes that are virtually immortal. The dark characters allow me to explore emotions and perspectives I couldn't explore in other ways.I've written short stories in a number of other genres, including westerns, fantasy, and magical realism. Some people travel the world. I enjoy traveling the world of the imagination!

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

DLS: In elementary school, I was a big fan of the original Star Trek. Somewhere around 5th grade, I came across a book by David Gerrold called "The Trouble With Tribbles." The book was about how he was hired to write the script for the Star Trek episode of the same name. That's when I first really became aware of what being a writer could be and I thought it sounded like a lot of fun.I remember creating a lot of stories then. The one that sticks in my head is actually a big, epic western story. Of course, I still dabble in westerns, though I usually manage to toss in a vampire, zombie or an alien for good measure these days.
CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

DLS: I'm inspired by all sorts of things. Sometimes it's something I read in a history book, sometimes it's someplace I've been, sometimes it's current events. My first novel, "The Pirates of Sufiro" actually had it's first inspiration from a handful of events in the history of New Mexico. One event was a famous gunfight where a lawman named Elfego Baca single-handedly held off a dozen men who wanted to break a friend out of jail. Another event was the battle of Glorietta Pass, which is a Civil War battle, often known as the Gettysburg of the West. Finally, there was the story of my own great grandparents homesteading in New Mexico right around the beginning of the 20th century.My first vampire novel got its start when a good friend, who used to in a writing group with Laurell K. Hamilton, made a stray comment wondering what a vampire would think of my home town of Las Cruces, literally "the city of crosses."That all said, my day-to-day inspiration is my wife, Kumie, and my daughters, Myranda and Verity. Kumie has always really supported and encouraged my writing and I like to write stories that will inspire Myranda and Verity.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

DLS: It varies a bit, depending on circumstances. Since I'm a freelance editor and technical consultant as well as a writer, I have a lot of flexibility in my schedule. Currently, what I do is sit down to write right after the kids get on the schoolbus. Mostly I compose on an ancient laptop in some quiet corner of the house with some good mood music on my iPod. I usually try to get about two to four hours of writing done in the morning. Sometimes I also write in the evening after the kids go to bet. I'm a fairly fast writer, so I can usually get 2000 words or so done in that time. The rest of my day usually gets taken up with reading submissions for my magazine, Tales of the Talisman, editing other books, and whatever other projects I happen to be involved in at the time.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

DLS: Buoyant!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

DLS: I like camping and hiking. I haven't been able to do as much as I'd like the past couple of years, but hope to get some more in this summer. I like bicycling. Our neighborhood gives me great views of the mountains. I like watching movies and reading.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

DLS: I have four published novels: "The Pirates of Sufiro," "Children of the Old Stars," "Heirs of the New Earth," and "Vampires of the Scarlet Order."I have a book coming out this year from Sam's Dot Publishing that's a collaboration with Lee Clark Zumpe called "Blood Samper" that collects some of our vampire flash fiction. I'm also editing a very fun anthology called "Space Pirates" for Flying Pen Press.Of course, for an author, picking a favorite book can be like a parent picking their favorite child. But if I had to pick a favorite, I'd say it was "Vampires of the Scarlet Order" because I really like the characters in that book and the reader response to it has been great.

CA: My favorite of your books would have to be Vampires of the Scarlet Order!
CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

DLS: Yes! Seriously, the characters start in my imagination and then, to give them life, I sprinkle in characteristics from people I've met over the years. So it's rare that if you know me, you would look at one character and say, "Ah ha! That's such-and-so." But, as a writer, I try to built believable characters, so I use my experience with people to give the characters an air of authenticity.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

DLS: The easiest way is to drop by my website at: www.davidleesummers.comThere's contact info, info about upcomng appearances, links to other favorite authors and, if you click on the "Novels and Audiobooks" link, you can get information about my books including links to where you can hear me read my first two novels, "The Pirates of Sufiro" and "Children of the Old Stars" absolutely free.

CA: David I had so much fun reading your books and I hope the commenters here enjoy them as well!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice interview, David. Sci-fi is the greatest form of escapism there is. Well done again, Crystal.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the feedback, Alan. Likewise, thanks for the interview, Crystal. I appreciate it!

awaapp said...

I like your thoughts "David Lee Summers" the universe is a great and wonderful view of the microcosm...the infinity if you will...I look forward to reading your book as it was recommended by my friend CJ.
Peace, Pat

Anonymous said...

Hi David I just read the review for your vampire book and I am going to go and get it right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!! Oh yes you should check out Davids books!!! I loved his vampire one..Vampires of the Scarlet Order, I was excited when he submitted it to me!

Anonymous said...

Yet another wonderful interview. Thank you very much for introducing another wonderful author.

Hugs,
Besa

Desirée Lee said...

Anything vampire related catches my attention!

Carpe Noctem,
Des

Anonymous said...

Thanks to all those who dropped by! If anyone has any problem finding my books, remember, you can drop by my website at www.davidleesummers/books.html -- I list a number of sources for the books. Thanks again, Crystal, for the interview!

Happily Ever After Authors said...

Hello David,

I tend to mirror from someone real who inspired a story, but then on revisions remove anything where a mutual friend might recognize the person. Even in doing this, keeping the character real seems to be putting people off. They aren't wanting real people. They are wanting the fantasy, the unrealistic.

Have you received feedback such as this? Or maybe this is limited to the realm of romance and sci-fi readers are more open to anything?

Bekki

Anonymous said...

HI David and everyone! Well the week may be over but you can still go buy David's books LOL!!
Hope everyone had a good time!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bekki,

Good question. My friends who write romance say that there is a fine line between creating realistic characters and characters that a reader might want to fantasize about. I would talk to other romance writers and get their take on this subject. Also, try to get some opinions about your characters from people who don't know you or the people who might have inspired your characters. Objective feedback can be really valuable.

My vampires range the gamut from an astronomer who drives an old beat-up Buick to a girl from the 1500s who has to make money babysitting because she was a teenager when she became a vampire. Most of them are just ordinary characters you might meet in life.

Of course, the vampire that a romance writer friend liked the best was the mysterious and handsome Rudolfo from 1491 Spain. Definitely he's the closest to the classic romantic hero. I think Rudolfo is very true to the time he became a vampire, but it all may go to show that it's important to know the genre you want to write in and know how far you can push the conventions of that genre.

Best to all and thanks again, Crystal!