Sunday, April 13, 2008

Interview with Alan Garner


CA: Alan, Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to interview this week. I hope a little bit of Kentucky seeps its way into Auckland, New Zealand *grins*!!

Author Pen Name: Alan J. Garner

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

AG: Oddly enough, that’s a tricky question. My publisher, Deb Staples, has me under the heading Science Fiction, but I prefer my own label of Science Fantasy. I take the best elements out of both fields (sci-fi machinery & fantasy magic) and mix them up with my own brand of humor.
The type of stories I write, from my novels right through down to my short stories, are all about escapism, the same reason people go to the movies: to flee the mundane. It’s all about being transported to another time and place, where hope exists and the good guys always defeat the baddies…eventually.


CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

AG: Not until my mid twenties. I originally wanted to be a cartoonist, and indeed became published in my regional daily newspaper. Then I progressed onto writing & illustrating children’s picture books, none of which made it into print. I had a hankering to write my first novel, but stayed undecided for ages. Fortunately, my wife made up my mind for me! At her urging I wrote (and rewrote) The Chosen One and got well and truly hooked. Although I haven’t completely forsaken the drawing side of my talent and keep my hand in designing my own book covers, for better or worse!

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

AG: Looking back on my childhood and sounding terribly clichéd, reading my father’s single volume copy of The Lord of the Rings at a tender age sparked my love of reading. But my interest in writing stems from Terry Brooks and his fantastic The Sword of Shannara, in many respect a latter day LOTR. Immersing myself in his exquisitely constructed world kindled in me a desire to create solely using the written, as opposed to the drawn, line.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

AG: Working my day job as a foreman painter/decorator in order to pay the usual bills kind of restricts the time I can spend tapping the keys. Since I’m normally up at sparrow’s fart (Kiwi slang for ‘before dawn’) I have a burst of creativity prior to leaving for work. Then my nose is back to the grindstone when I come home, remaining there until I scoot off to bed. I set myself a daily page target and try to achieve that, if the muse isn’t on vacation!

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

AG: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

CA: LOL that’s the first for someone to use that word here!

CA: What was your biggest challenge in writing your book(s)?

AG: Finding the time. When growing up my mother often said to me “There aren’t enough hours in the day!” I didn’t truly know what she meant until I took up writing.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

AG: Nothing very original. Books are my number one passion (after my wife, of course!), so I’ve usually got my head buried in a favorite author’s novel or I’m busy researching various subjects in my ever expanding reference library. I do take time off to watch movies however: I’m a sucker for a well crafted action movie.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

AG: Four (three published and one pending), with the fifth book a few chapters away from completion. The Chosen One will always remain my firm favorite, not only because it was the first book published, but because it was the first novel I actually finished. But I’m equally proud of the two sequels, Chosen Too and Three Times Chosen.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

AG: Bit of both really. I drew heavily from people I know for characters in my first book, but in later stories I’ve branched out and created personalities from scratch.

CA: Do you have any advice for the aspiring writers out there?

AG: Don’t let anybody say you can’t write. The best way to gain experience is to get stuck in and do it. I’m put in mind of a good adage: Don’t let a single day go by without writing. Even if it’s garbage, if garbage is all you can write, write it. Garbage eventually becomes compost with a little treatment.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

AG: For eBooks, go to my publisher’s website
www.synergebooks.com or
www.writeronlinebooks.com
www.amazon.com/books
www.fictionwise.com

The Chosen One remains available in print form at
www.nationwidebooks.co.nz

To get in touch with me personally, please leave a message at
www.authorsden.com/alanjgarner or visit me at www.myspace.com/kwikfoot

I enjoy receiving feedback from my readers and fellow authors. I’m also working on getting my own website up and running one day soon!


CA: Is there anything you would like to add?

AG: Cursed with my mother’s feet and father’s stammer, I feel blessed to be able to express myself and diminish my physical limitations through writing.
Thanks heaps for the interview, Crystal. I hope I didn’t waffle on too much. You’re a real sweetheart.

CA: Alan, nope you didn’t waffle me but that does sound really good right about now ;) I am glad that nothing has stopped you from writing, now just don’t ever give up! And you’re a sweetie too, thanks so much again!!! Hugs, Crystal

10 comments:

Desirée Lee said...

Science Fantasy, I love that label! You're right that there is a need for someway to explain a crossover between the two genres. The fantasy element may not appeal to hard core sci-fi fans and vice versa. Thank goodness there are those like use who like the blend of both!

Carpe Noctem,
Des

http://www.desireelee.com

Anonymous said...

"Fortunately, my wife made up my mind for me!" Thank Goodness for wives right? Goodluck with your book!

Sarah

Shiela Stewart said...

That is a great description, Science Fantasy! It should be a new catagory. I'm sure there are plenty of other authors work that would fit that catagory.

Anonymous said...

HI Alan!! Hope all is well across the pond:)
I agree with Sarah, thank goodness for wives *winks*

Anonymous said...

I'm glad my Science Fantasy label is proving to be such a hit. While I hate to be pigeon-holed, it really is the only way to describe my writing. Maybe I'll start a trend. So thanks for the comments, people. And yes, it's true: behind every great guy is an even greater woman!
LOL
Alan

Anonymous said...

Hotcha got excited and posted this at the wrong place lol here are the comments:

HOTCHA1 said...
hi alan! did not mean to slight ya! lol

April 14, 2008 8:43 AM
HOTCHA1 said...
how can i get your books alan?

Anonymous said...

Hi Alan, what does your wife think about you being an author?

Anonymous said...

HOTCHA1, got to my publisher's website www,synergebooks.com to purchase the Ebooks. Thanks for dropping by.

READING IS FUN, luckily for me my wife is very supportive about me being a writer. Although she has made the comment that when I'm home she only gets to see the back of my head, on account I spend the bulk of my spare time at the computer! Glad you stopped by.

Anonymous said...

Just dropping in to say Hello everyone! Hope you've enjoyed Alan this week :)

James said...

Thanks grreat blog post