Friday, April 18, 2008

*Contest* Interview with Lainey Bancroft


** CONTEST **
Lainey has offered up an autographed copy of her book, Settling Back to someone drawn randomly from the commenters at the end of the week! You don’t want to miss out on this so make sure to comment and please leave an email address so that we can contact the winner..if the winner does not respond in 5 days we’ll have to do a redraw…so remember to check your emails! Enjoy Lainey’s interview!

Author Pen Name: Lainey Bancroft

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

LB: I write contemporary romance and romantic comedy. The header on my homepage says, Lainey Bancroft…where reality rhymes with romance. I understand romance reading is supposed to be an escape, but I found many of the contemporary romances I read escaped just a bit too far from my reality. Not many of us are physically flawless, parading off to glamorous jobs in our designer wardrobes. Nor are we generally fortunate enough to charm our filthy rich and also physically flawless boss, who despite being thirty-something has no ex-wife or shared custody relationship baggage.
I decided romance could still be romantic and combine elements of real life that we all have to deal with, which is usually where the comedy comes into play. Not much is as funny as real life. I want readers to walk away with a satisfied this could happen to me feeling.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

LB: After I read The Cat in the Hat. And then again after I read Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Rose in Bloom, The Little Princess... Unfortunately, real life got in the way for a long time. I’ve only been seriously writing for about two years now.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

LB: A new computer in the house and a constant flow of characters talking in my head, begging me to bring them to life in a story.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

LB: With a couple of teenagers, two spoiled dogs, an ornery cat, and a home based business, I wish I had a schedule. Generally I take care of home and business priorities in the morning and write for a few hours in the afternoon. If I have requested revisions and edits due, a lot of the household tasks slip while I focus on completing them. Good thing my kids love pizza.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

LB: You’re asking someone who loves words to come up with a single one? Hmm. Exhilarated!

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

LB: I’m an avid reader. I also enjoy movies and time spent outdoors with my family.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

LB: I’ve written four full-length novels and numerous novellas and short stories. I’m afraid I have commitment issues when it comes to my stories. They’re all my favorite while I’m writing them, but when I sign off on the finished product I move on and fall in love with my next work in progress. I do have one favorite character from the first thing I ever wrote, my book under the bed. The story is so bad even Harry Potter couldn’t fix it with his magic wand, but how I do still love the character. Some day I hope to resurrect him in a fresh tale.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

LB: From scratch with the odd quirk and character trait from friend’s and family members, hopefully disguised well enough that even they couldn’t tell I mined them for parts.

CA: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?

LB: Read. Read. Read. Write. Write. Write.

I’d also recommend getting feedback early in the game. Not just a “That’s wonderful, darling,” pat on the head from dear old mom. An honest critique from someone experienced enough to catch minor boo-boos you might be making before they become bad habits. Having a critique partner or group can help you stay on track and produce pages regularly. It can also be a wonderful support system when you reach that writer phase in your life and discover most of the conversations you have in a day are in dialogue tags on a computer screen. We need more than just the imaginary friends we dream up in our novels.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

LB: My books are available at http://www.thewildrosepress.com/ as well as through various e-book distributors and Amazon.com. Settling Back will also be released in print June 2008. I love hearing from readers. They can contact me at lainey@laineybancroft.com. It was actually a letter from a reader that inspired me to turn my short story Dare to Dance into The 3-D Club trilogy. I have a blog as well, which I don’t update nearly as frequently as I should, but a few times a week I blather about life, writing and how never the two should mix. I love new company and comments. http://www.elaineforlife.com/myBloggie/

CA: Thanks so much Lainey for a wonderful interview LOL..it is a good thing my husband and son love pizza as well..I'm always doing something or other that involves books.

15 comments:

Asylumgirl said...

Lainey,
The Anne of Green Gables series are favorites of mine as well. I like the advice you gave for aspiring writers. Read, LOL, that works for me. Nice interview!

Deidre
deidre_durance@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

Great interview! I really enjoyed it. I have never read any of your books but would love too. Thanks for sharing.

lead@hotsheet.com

Anonymous said...

As always a great interview that leaves you wanting to purchase the book.
Blessings CJ

Anonymous said...

Lainey I agree The Anne of Green Gables series is a fav of mine!
What do your friends and family think of your writing?

Anonymous said...

Lainey,

I think you have a wonderful approach with mixing real life with romance? In many ways, that makes it more real and unboring. I would rather read soething like this than some redundant fixations that no longer hold interest. I would love to read your book. Seriously!

Email: Besakosova@publishedauthors.net

Besa

Andrea Snider said...

Hey Lainey,

Great interview! I love the fact that you add humor to you romances, anyone that can make me laugh out loud is A-ok- in my book!!! Now that I have my palm up and running I am gonna grab your books and download them!!!

Thanks for sharing your insight!

Andrea aka Highland Lassie

lainey bancroft said...

Hello All! Thanks for chiming in.

Yes, Deidre, I adore Anne, and am in love with Gilbert to this day! Elements of my devotion to him crop up in Settling Back. Who wouldn't like to have a boy carry his love for you into his adult life? I didn't marry my high-school sweetheart,(and that's a damn good thing) so I had to create that for myself in fiction. =)

Thanks, Virginia & CJ!

Crystal! Love the new come-hither pic. Beautiful. My family, hmm. Mixed. The DH is super supportive (except when I get deep enough into my characters to call him by the heroes name. Its happened at least three times--but never at the worst possible time *wink*)
My kids think its hysterical that I have a MySpace. Too cool a concept for their dorky mother, I guess.
My mom pats me on the head. Kinda in the same way she did when I wanted to be Miss America despite the fact that I am both vertically and horizontally challenged, and oh yeah, Canadian! Ultimately I think she still wishes I'd finished teachers college!

Besa, same. I got really tired of reading about glam gals I couldn't connect with on every level. Angelina in Settling Back has bigger issues than just whether to wear Gucci or Prada. Anyone know what Prada is, anyway? lol I hope you read it, and of course I hope you love it!

Wild Waves, Andrea! email me, sweetie and I'll send you Waiting to Waltz book 3 in the 3-D club trilogy of short stories. It just released and has gotten reviews that make me squee! I'd love to know what you think!

xo
Lainey

Asylumgirl said...

Lainey,

I do believe Gilbert was one of my first loves. I really fell in love with his movie character and it just progressed with the later stories. What adoration and devotion they had for each other!

Deidre

Unknown said...

A wonderful interview, Lainey!

I can tell we have a lot of great things to look forward to!

Sheryl Browne said...

Real people. Real stories. Love your approach, Lainey. You are on my wavelength.
xx

Laurel Bradley said...

Hi Lainey,
I love your name. I enjoyed the interview. I can relate to the "committment issue" comment about your books and characters. My favorite is always the one I'm work on too. I look forward to picking up one of your books.
Laurel Bradley (fellow TWRP author)

lainey bancroft said...

Hello fellow Roses, Kathleen, Sheryl & Laurel (love your name too btw Laurel *wink*)

Thanks for the show of support!

Isn't it weird how much we wacky writers all have in common when you see it listed like this?

Caitlin Hoy said...

Great interview! I also thought the advice you gave was really insightful & helpful.
Caitlin

Anonymous said...

Hi Lainey! This was a great interview! You've accomplished so much in such a short time. Congratulations! I love your sense of humor and look forward to reading your book. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lainey! Sounds like you've had fun this week! And thanks I do kinda like my new pic ;)
LOL hubby might get kinda ticked if he was called another name at the not right moment *winks back*
Don't forget to choose a winner tonight ;) Let me know and we'll announce it ;)
Hugs, Crystal