Sunday, January 20, 2008

N.D. Hansen-Hill Interview


N.D. Hansen-Hill took time out of her busy schedule to visit with me this week! Take a look at her interview and visit her sites, but most importantly buy her books J

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

NDHH: I write fantasy, science fiction, horror, paranormal suspense, sf romance, fantasy romance, and romantic suspense. I began with writing fantasy, but my background's in science and, more recently, archeology. I love doing research in those areas, so it seems natural to write everything with a sci fi edginess.


CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

NDHH: Oh, in my teens I wrote poetry and short stories (as you do!), but I didn't seriously begin writing until 12 years ago, and then it was only because the library didn't have anything I wanted to read. I checked out 11 books, couldn't "get into" any of them, so began writing my own book.

I couldn't believe it when I actually finished it! I was so afraid it was a fluke, never to be repeated, that I carried on and wrote 5 sequels.


CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

NDHH: Some of my favorite authors have been Michael Crichton and John Steinbeck. I like the science-mingled-action of Crichton and Steinbeck's way of taking the plebeian and making it beautiful.


CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

NDHH:
A 4 a.m. start, and then carrying on till my daughter gets home from school (3:30). That varies, depending on whether I have other work to do, classes to attend, and so on, but I try to get in at least 8 hours/day.


CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

NDHH: Tense. Every new release is like a fledgling being tossed from the nest, LOL! The first review, the first reader comment, the first royalty payment - all let you know whether you've succeeded. Since my first book came out, I've been aware how much I owe my readers in terms of expectations. I try to write with the thought that they're all peeking over my shoulder...


CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

NDHH: Paint, study archeology and mycology, watch sci fi DVDs, read.


CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

NDHH: Thirty books, plus 2 novellas. Elf was my favorite for a long time. Now, I'd have to say maybe Static? I recently pulled excerpts from it for an author chat, and there's something about the theme that still thrills me.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

NDHH: My characters are a combination of people I've met, but their habits and occupations are completely their own. I love tossing my characters into tense and weird situations, then figuring out how they'd react, to get themselves out!


CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

NDHH: Amazon, but the easiest way might be through my publishers' sites:
Cerridwen Press
http://www.cerridwenpress.com/AuthorsBooks.asp?AuthorCode=NDHH

NDHH: Linden Bay Romance
http://www.lindenbayromance.com/viewbyauthor.php?authorname=Melody%20Knight

NDHH: Fictionwise
http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/NDHansen-HilleBooks.htm?cache

NDHH: (for ErRatic)
http://www.amazon.com/ErRatic-Five-Science-Fiction-Fantasy/dp/1594146438/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1197827650&sr=8-2

NDHH: And watch for news on MySpace (
http://www.myspace.com/ndmanuscripts ) or at my website (http://www.NDHansen-Hill.com ). I'll announce when my Red Rose and Drollerie Press titles are released!
My website and MySpace always have contact information, so please, stay in touch!

CA: Thanks so much for agreeing to be featured this week N.D. Thank you for supplying the info on how readers can contact you and purchase your books. Hopefully this interview will spur a few more sales your way J
It is very nice that you’re earnestly concered about your readers and their opinions J sometimes that is hard to find!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely book cover, and nice interview!

Anonymous said...

Don't you write under another name?

Anonymous said...

How grand? An exceptional interview with yet another captivating author!

Thank you for sharing,
Besa K.

Anonymous said...

Besa, you're a gem! Thanks so much for commenting!