Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Interview with Hubert L. Mullins


CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

HLM: I write in fantasy and dark-fantasy. The latter I chose because I have a thing for fairy-tale type stories with a not-so-happy ending. Also, this is the perfect blend of fantasy and adventure dabbed with a sprinkle of horror.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

HLM: This was back during my middle school days when I wrote stories for the 'Young Writers of America' contests. I never actually won, but I let fellow classmates read them and a lot of my peers loved them. To see their faces light up by the words that I wrote was amazing and I knew what I wanted to do from then on.

CA:Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

HLM: My parents are my inspiration. They've always pushed me to go on, they never let me quit and even when I thought I had no readers in the world, they would take the time to enjoy my stuff.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

HLM: I have a pretty bizarre writing schedule. It usually starts around 1 or 2 am. I've noticed that my best things come out of me when my mind is 'slightly' tired. When my thoughts are stretched just enough that I want sleep. I will continue through until about 4 am until I go to bed. Then I'll wake up at about 9 and keep going, still in that slight sleep-deprived stupor.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

HLM: Accomplished. There is no greater feeling than to see your completed work in the form of a paperback book. All those months of hard work have finally collected in the palm of your hand.

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

HLM: I'm a bit of a shut-in, so I basically do whatever is around the house! I love to watch movies, I play video games (my shoulders STILL hurt from my Wii) and I read and worldbuild on Mystyria.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

HLM: Currently I have two out with one on the way. My favorite would have to be the one that's yet to come out. I loved how all the characters came back together for a final time. It's bittersweet since I'm saying goodbye to these characters but after all, it was only a trilogy.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

HLM: I most always base them on real people. That's the only way you can totally get a 'feel' for them. Dyne was loosely based on me, as was Tranas. I take small things from my own personality (as well as others) and cobble them together into characters. It takes a bit of fine-tuning and tweaking to make them work since you can't just throw anything together. Ketchup on ice cream wouldn't work, right? That's the same principle when combining two outlandish personality traits.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

HLM: I can be reached through my website or my myspace. My books can be ordered through amazon.com, bn.com, borders.com, authorhouse.com, as well as several other places. Also readers can visit their local bookstores and ask for them.
Thank you for reading and here are my addresses!
www.hubertlmullins.com
www.myspace.com/hopescovenant

Hubert it was wonderful having you visit this week. Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule. I enjoyed your novel The Vampires of Hope's Covenant, it was a spectacular read. If you would like to read the review check out my blog: www.bookreviewsbcrystal.blogspot.com That book is a MUST read for any Vamp lover.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cinco de Mayo - the fifth of May which is observed in Mexico and Mexican-American communities in the United States to commemorate the Mexican victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla in 1862

ALSO THE INTERVEIW WAS VERY NICE... I LOVE HEARING HOW AUTORS COME UP WITH THEIR IDEAS AND WHAT COMPELLS THEM TO WRITE. THANK YOU
KEYA5555@AOL.COM
KATHY

Unknown said...

thanks for the interview . and im befirneding evreyone with myspace

myspace.com/blackroze38

Unknown said...

LOVE the cover

sky2cu4 said...

Love the interview. You have me wanting to read your books

Jackie

Sky2cu4@aol.com

Jackie Stroud-Painter said...

I think that all the interviews were great. I have found that I have a lot in common with other writers. It's nice to know that I am not the only one who has to work a regular job and write whenever I can.