Sunday, January 20, 2008

Interview with Alistair Canlin


This Week as one of our featured authors, I am happy to present Alistair Canlin He told me what men in Scotland really wear under those Kilts ;) !!

CA: What genre(s) do you write? Why do you write the stories that you write?

AC: I write mainly in the crime genre, although there is often a love story that runs through most of the stories and books I write. Most of the stories come from one simple line; if I can get the first line then the rest can easily flow from there. Some of the stories come from newspapers, the small sideline stories that you usually ignore. I can usually find enough there that will inspire me.

CA: When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

AC: To be honest I don’t really know. At school I was a daydreamer, the kid that gazed out the window through lessons and was lost in their own fantasy world. It wasn’t really until my early twenties that I started jotting down ideas and slowly stretched them out. I discovered a work colleague, who is now a successful writer, was doing the same thing and it inspired me to start sending my work out to publishers, magazines and websites.

CA: Who or what was your inspiration for writing?

AC: Difficult to say, but probably it’s the person I wish I was. Living out fantasies from the comfort of my own chair. I’m such a coward. As far as writing goes the book that really grabbed my imagination was Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, I was blown away by the way he managed to turn the world upside down in a very subtle yet subversive way. I also love the work of Hunter S. Thompson, again somebody who was a rebel and allowed me to imagine that world. But I’m constantly reading, anything from modern classics to graphic novels. It’s the only way I can learn different styles, new words and worlds. At the moment I’m addicted to Japanese literature, the work of Natsuo Kirino and Koushun Takami are current favourites.

CA: What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

AC: I try and put aside an allotted time each day, so that I know its coming and I can prepare. Then I go hell for leather and try and write as much as I can within that time. I tend to write in longhand to start with, and then I type it onto the computer editing as I go. It’s then printed out and I get a big red pen and start radical editing, both adding and taking away, then the process is repeated, usually about eight or so times. Hopefully at the end of all that I’m happy with what I’ve got. Quite often I can have a few projects on the go at one time, if I get into trouble with one I switch and see if the break will give me any fresh ideas.

CA: Your book is about to be sent into the reader world, what is one word that describes how you feel?

AC: Discomknockerated

CA: LOL love that word, I’m going to add it to my vocabulary ;)

CA: What do you like to do when you're not writing?

AC: I’m addicted to films and Tv, so if I’m not in front of the computer I’m usually in front of the goggle box. Music also plays a big part, really should stop buying CD’s, I’ve got nearly two thousand. Sleeping is the other thing that I’m really good at, it seems to come so naturally.

CA: How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

AC: I’ve written two novels and a collection of short stories. Black & White was the first novel I wrote, it took three years to finish, and became something that I had to finish to prove to myself that I could do it. Heaven is my second novel and took only nine months to finish. Twisted Love is my collection of short stories, which are mainly bittersweet love stories and a bit more experimental. Heaven is my favourite, it is by far my most adventurous and hopefully it’s as much fun to read as it was to write.

CA: Do you tend to base your characters on real people or are they totally from your imagination?

AC: Several people have asked to be put into my stories, so I either use their description or mannerism and incorporate them into characters. Quite often I merge several people and use a jumble of them all. A few of the characters are quite close to myself, whether intentional or not, but most of the time the characters are completely imagined.

CA: How can a reader contact you or purchase your books?

AC: The books can be purchased from www.lulu.com/alcanlin and I’m usually found loitering around www.myspace.com/weeman70 where I’m more than willing to talk to anybody and also you can find my latest short stories on my blog.

CA: Thanks so much for being featured with me this week Alistair! I have enjoyed your interview as well as our chats! Alistair informed me that in Scotland it has been raining for many many days…so stop in and leave him a cheery comment here or on his myspace. www.myspace.com/weeman70

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alistair just dropping in to see what all is going on! Hugs, Crystal

DawnsReadingNook said...

Hey there Alister and Crystal,

I enjoyed the interview and look forward to checking out your books Alister. :)

It is frigid here in my neck of the woods. Woke up to a -9 degrees with wind chill factored in the temp. *shivers*

Raine Delight

Anonymous said...

Hi Raine! Thank you so much for stopping in! Its below frigid here it was 5 degrees this morning! His book cover is so pretty, he sent it to me for review so now I can't wait to read it! Enjoy your night love and thanks for stoppin' in!

Keely said...

Good luck with your new release, Alistair! And nice interview, Crystal. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to read the nonsense that comes out of my mouth, sometimes some of it even makes sense.
And guess what?
It's raining again. I think I'm growing gills and webbed feet.
Hopefully the book can live up to your expectations.
Cheers
Alistair

Anonymous said...

LOL Alistair if you grow gills and webbed feet please take a pic :)
Thanks for posting Keely I know who you really are and you know I love you :)

Anonymous said...

Canlin,

Your books sound wonderful -- especially Heaven. Hmmm...that one would definetely would interest me. And, yes, so you know you are on my to do read list. I have been busy this week preparing for mid-terms, writing and such, but you will definetely see me on your blog soon.

Crystal, thank you again.

Hugs and many smiles,
Besa Kosova

Anonymous said...

Besa, Alistair's book Heaven does sound awesome! I am lucky that he has chosen me to review it for him! I wish you good grades on your mid terms :)

Anonymous said...

Besa, Alistair's book Heaven does sound awesome! I am lucky that he has chosen me to review it for him! I wish you good grades on your mid terms :)

Anonymous said...

Of course the books awesome (well I would say that I'm biased)
Just to let you know that I did not personally try out the dance routines that are in the book.
I apologise if that image now requires you to seek imediate therapy.
I hope you do enjoy the books, I'd be delighted to know what you think.

Lang May Yer Lum Reek

Anonymous said...

Hey there Alister and Crystal,

I enjoyed the interview and look forward to checking out your books Alister. :)

sky2cu4@aol.com